The 5 Best Orthopedic (Arched) Back Stretchers (2020 Reviews)
Have you ever tried using orthopedic back stretchers to quickly relieve your back pain and stiffness?
If not, you should know:
These simple devices, which usually require no assembly or effort on your part, are anatomically shaped to conform to your spine and realign your vertebrae – to help improve your posture relieve compression in your nerves and discs.
There are so many back stretchers on the market. How do you choose the best one for you?
In a Hurry?
We’ve done all the research for you, and found the 5 best orthopedic back stretcher machines and where to find the best price for them. Below the table, you’ll find their pros & cons.
The 5 Best Orthopedic Back Stretchers (2020)
Through our (long) research, here are the 5 best arched back stretchers, our rating, and what we liked about them:
|Our Rating||What we Liked|
|🥇ChiSoft Lumbar Stretching Device||4.9||* 3-level gear adjustment|
* Acupressure points
|ChiFit archedback stretcher||4.8||ChiSoft-like|
for lower price
|SOLIDBACK low back stretcher||4.8||* High quality foam|
* Soft yet durable
|True Back stretcher||4.7||2 vibrating|
|Spine-Worksback stretcher||4.7||* Fits all heights|
* Supports up to
|North Americanback stretcher||4.6||* Lowest price|
1. ChiSoft Solid Orthopedic Back Stretcher – Upper & Lower Back
The unique quality of the ChiSoft is in its 3-level gear adjustment for different ranges in stretching your back.
The ChiSoft is durable and has acupressure points for increased blood circulation and promoting healing in the area.
You simply kneel on the ground and wedge the back end of it against your knees, hold both ends of it and lift it to place it in the arch level you want.
Then you can place it either on your low back, middle or upper back and slowly lay on it while you exhale. Try to stay on it for 5 minutes twice a day for best results.
Size: 15 x 2.8 x 4 inches
Weight: 1.2 pounds
- 3 different arch angles
- Acupressure points for increased blood circulation
- Easy to assemble
- Durable, high-quality plastic
- Clear and easy instructions
- Lightweight (only 1.2 pounds)
- Can be used on a chair
- Needs some assembly
- Plastic spikes may hurt (can be solved by placing a towel over it)
👉 ChiSoft comes with a fair price tag and when I watch this page I often find great deals.
2. SOLIDBACK Lower Back Stretcher
The popular SOLIDBACK low back stretcher is soft to the touch yet hard and very dense to not crush under any weight up to 300 pounds.
It is made from high-quality EVA foam and the spiky arc shape allows for it to reach deep into your lumbar tissue and makes it especially effective for Sciatica, pinched nerves, scoliosis, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, and bulging discs.
Treatment time is only a few minutes a day (most users feel significant relief after only 5 minutes), and the company offers a money-back guarantee.
The idea is that you place this on your low back, just above your tail bone area, and slowly lower your back to create the proper curvature of the spine. This stretches out the muscles and massages them.
- Made with solid and high-quality foam – won’t crush under your weight
- Stretches and massages the lower back at the same time
- Comes with instructional videos, and back stretcher exercises
- Can be used on a chair as well
- Affordable price
- May hurt the first few times you use it, especially if you have a back injury
3. North American Healthcare Arched Back Stretcher
For less than $20 (most of the time – check HERE), The North American Arched Back Stretcher is one of the best and most popular back stretchers in the market today.
This device fits everyone – every height and weight – and it’s a top seller on Amazon for good reasons: It’s low cost, easy to use and well built.
Size: 21 x 18.5 x 16.8 inches
Weight: 2.4 pounds
Arch height: between 3 and 4 inches at the highest point
- You can easily stretch different parts of your back by shifting your position on the device.
- Firm yet comfortable (padded)
- Can be used on a chair
- You can use it to exercise
- Small, not a great fit for taller people
4. Spine-Worx Back Realignment Device – Chiropractor Back Stretcher
The Spine-Worx lightweight back stretcher was designed by an American Chiropractor and uses your body weight to apply pressure on your spinal vertebrae and bring quick back pain relief.
When you lie on it, your spine is pressed firmly against its 2 padded rails – molded to fit the natural shape of your mid and lower back.
Size: 25 x 9.5 x 4 inches
Weight: 2 pounds
- FDA approved for back pain relief
- Lightweight (2 pounds) – fit for travel
- Supports 300 pounds and more
- Fits all heights
- Some people find it painful, but it’s effective if you stick to it 5 minutes twice a day
5. True Back Orthopedic Traction Device – with Vibration Massage
This battery-operated back stretcher combines both back traction and vibration massage and is a good choice if your budget allows for it.
While you lie down on the device, your spine “floats” in the center channel. The 30 suspension points in the center rails support your body weight and create pressure on the spinal muscles.
The gentle vibration improves blood circulation in your back and relaxes you enough to fall asleep right after using it.
True Back Pros
- Sturdy and well made, can last for years of regular use.
- It can be used for both upper and lower back pain by turning it around.
- 2 vibrating speed levels
- Comes with 2 AA batteries
- Some people think the vibrating mechanism is too loud
- Vibrating is gentle, may not be enough for some people
Orthopedic Spine Stretcher Benefits
Regular stretching with orthopedic (arched) back stretchers can help whether your back pain is caused by an injury, chronic posture-related back pain or a degenerative condition such as degenerative disc disease.
This counteracts gravity (which pulls the spine down as we age) and allows us to relieve compression in your spinal discs (or pinched nerves).
When compression is reduced, healing nutrients and pain-relieving components can flow much better to the area and speed up healing and rehabilitation.
Here are the great benefits:
- Its anatomical shape conforms to your spine
- Passive, gentle stretch – designed with therapeutic comfort in mind.
- It only takes 5 minutes a day twice a day to achieve results
- Increases flexibility and loosens muscles
- Relieves stress
- Corrects posture
- Prevent morning back stiffness when used before sleep
- Saves money by not having to go to a chiropractor as often
- Low cost
Who Can Benefit From a Back Stretcher?
Almost anyone suffering from acute or chronic back pain can benefit from a back traction device:
- Sciatica (relieves shooting pain of Sciatica by reducing compression in the vertebrae)
- Bulging disc
- Back pinched nerves
- Lower back Arthritis
- Degenerative disc disease
- Back muscle strain
- Poor posture
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
👉 If you need to do cervical traction – see our posts about the best neck traction devices for home use.
Are Orthopedic Back Stretchers Safe?
It’s generally safe for adults to use a back stretcher, but we advise not to use a back stretcher if you are pregnant, have infused vertebrae or Osteoporosis – without checking with your doctor first.
When you first try it, it will be slightly painful, but try to endure the initial pain, and stay on it. After about 30 seconds, your back will feel better and better, the longer you stay on it.
Also, if you feel your pain worsens, stop using immediately and see your doctor.
What if You Need Powerful Spinal Decompression?
There are other ways to decompress your upper and lumbar spine at home.
The most powerful one is using an inversion table.
Inversion therapy using a decompression table is quite a bit more than a back stretcher.
Inversion tables use gravity and your body weight to create adjustable traction – all the way to full inversion (hanging upside down – safely).
👉 See the 3 best inversion tables (under $100) – HERE.
🥇 The BEST Orthopedic Back Stretcher
Orthopedic arched back stretchers make a low-cost yet effective solution for drug-free back pain relief and posture correction.
The 5 back stretchers you’ve seen are, through our research, the best ones on the market today, with a fair price tag. They are all well worth the spend.
Our #1 recommendation would be the ChiSoft Orthopedic Back Stretcher. We think it’s the ultimate combo of quality and price, and the brand is well known and established.
Back Stretchers FAQ
We hope we’ve saved you some time and some money with this guide, and as always, we wish you all the best and pain-free life.
We check the comment section frequently so please feel free to post any question or comment you may have.
To your health and happiness,
The Back Pain Relief Products Team