The Top 6 Neck and Shoulder Heating Pads
A good neck and shoulder heating pad is one of the best inexpensive and drug-free ways to quickly relieve your neck and shoulder pain at home while speeding up healing and recovery from neck injuries and chronic pain.
When you relieve your neck stiffness and pain, you also prevent those neck-related headaches.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
👉 In a hurry?
Jump to the 6 Best Neck and Shoulder Heating Pads
- How to Pick a Heated Neck Wrap
- Is a Heating Pad Good for Neck and Shoulder Pain?
- The 6 Best Neck and Shoulder Heating Pads
- 1. Pure Relief – Best Weighted Neck & Shoulder Wrap
- 2. Sunbeam Renue Neck Heating Pad – Best Electric Neck Warmer
- 3. Carex Bed Buddy – Best Microwaveable Neck Wrap
- 4. Theratherm Heating Pad – Best Moist Neck Heating Pad
- 5. UTK Heating Pad Best Infrared Neck Heating Pad
- 6. Brookstone Hot & Cold Neck Wrap – Best Aromatherapy Neck Wrap
- DIY Neck Heating Pad
- How Long Should You Keep a Heating Pad on Your Neck?
- What is the Best Heating Pad for Neck and Shoulder Pain?
How to Pick a Heated Neck Wrap
When you want to pick the best neck and shoulder heating pad, you’ll have to check its size to see if it fits your neck, to make sure it has various heat settings (to find the one you can tolerate), and make sure it is flexible so you can wrap it around your neck and shoulders.
Also, we recommend choosing an electric neck wrap if you need a longer treatment time, and the infrared heating pads are better for deep penetrating heat.
Through our research, we’ve narrowed all neck heating pads down to the six best ones in 2022, to save you a lot of time exploring all of them yourself.
The 6 heating pads for cervical and shoulder pain you’ll find below are all:
- Designed especially for the neck and shoulder area, high-quality materials.
- Long enough to wrap around your shoulders
- Heat up fast
- Easy to use
We’ve included special features for each neck warmer pad, pros and cons, and our fluff-free reviews to help you decide which one is the best for you.
Is a Heating Pad Good for Neck and Shoulder Pain?
A neck heating wrap dilates blood vessels in the area and promotes blood circulation, which allows for more nutrients and pain-relieving blood components to arrive and speed up healing – naturally. Using thermal therapy via heating pads for neck and shoulder pain is relatively inexpensive, comfortable, easy to use, and effective.
This is why heating pads are also very helpful for menstrual back pain.
The 6 Best Neck and Shoulder Heating Pads
What’s the best electric heating cushion/wrap for your neck?
If you’re in a hurry, here’s our summary first, and underneath you’ll find the pros and cons of each heating pad:
|Neck & Shoulder Heating Pad||Our Rating||Type||Price|
|Pure Relief Neck Heat Wrap||Best Weighted||Electric|
110° F- 140° F
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|Carex Bed Buddy||Best Microwaveable||Microwave|
Heat & Cold
|✅ $13 5 at Carex|
|Sunbeam Neck & Shoulder Heat Pad||Best Electric Neck Warmer||Electric|
110 F-160 F
|✅ Check price on Amazon|
88 F-166 F
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|UTK Infrared Neck Wrap||Best Infrared|
(for severe pain)
Infrared Heat via Jade stones
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|Brookstone Herbal Neck Wrap||Best Aromatherapy||Microwave|
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
If you are looking for the best neck heating pad – we recommend choosing an electric heating pad, to keep the thermotherapy effect long enough to work.
Let’s start with electric cervical heating pads, and below you’ll find the 2 best microwaveable neck wraps in 2022.
1. Pure Relief – Best Weighted Neck & Shoulder Wrap
- Size – 29″L x 24″W x 1″H
- Weight – 2.6 pounds
- Temperature settings – 110° F – 140° F
Though it’s called a neck & shoulder wrap, the Pure Relief high-quality pad covers not only the neck and shoulders but almost the entire back, with weighted edges and magnetic closure, that keeps it in place.
To get the full heat potential, you can use the built-in loops and an optional elastic belt – that come inside the package.
With the easy-to-use controller, you can choose from 4 temperature settings (warm/low/medium/high) and the treatment time. It shuts off automatically after 2 hours.
This heat wrap is the ultimate pain and stress reliever after work, travel, or chronic neck pain. The cover is soft against the skin, and overall this is the best neck heating wrap on the market, with the best warranty (5 years!), and customer service.
- High quality, durable
- Stays in place – slightly weighted edges and magnetic closure
- Covers almost the entire neck and back
- Soft and comfortable cover
- Machine washable
- Adjustable temperature settings
- 2-hour automatic shut off
- 5-year warranty!
✅ Price – Check today’s price on Amazon
- People with pacemakers can’t use it
2. Sunbeam Renue Neck Heating Pad – Best Electric Neck Warmer
- Size – 14″ x 22″
- Weight – 2.65 pounds
- Temperature Settings – 110 F – 160 F
The Sunbeam neck heating pad is designed as a full-coverage fit for your neck and shoulders because once you put it on, it stays put.
(It has slightly weighted edges and a magnetic clasp for a secure fit)
It warms up fast and is very comfortable to use, it has 4 heat settings (the lowest setting is gentle and not too hot), and you can choose from dry or moist heat.
(Sunbeam heating pads are also featured in our list of the best extra large heating pads of 2022)
- You can choose from 4 heat settings to find the exact fit for you (through a digital controller)
- The cover is made from soft micro-plush which feels nice around your neck
- 2-hour shut off – plenty of time to relieve your neck pain
- You can choose either dry or moist heat
- Long electric cord
- Machine washable
✅ Price – check price on Amazon
- It contains magnets, so people with a pacemaker, ICD, or an internal insulin pump can’t use it. However, you can remove the magnets from the side flaps and resolve this problem.
- Doesn’t cover more than top shoulders
Alternatives from the same brand:
Sunbeam has a few more neck heating pads that you can consider:
The XL model is bigger and covers most of your back too (size 25 x 25 inches).
The XL Massaging model has 4 massage options to supercharge your neck pain relief.
The Sunbeam 885-911 neck heating pad is a non-expensive yet highly effective neck pain relieving tool. It warms up fast, it’s comfortable and stays put, and it has 4 heat settings.
3. Carex Bed Buddy – Best Microwaveable Neck Wrap
- Size – 4.25 x 23 x 1 inches
- Weight – 1 lbs.
- Filling – grains, herbs, flowers
The Carex Bed Buddy is the most popular microwaveable neck wrap and costs less than $15.
It is filled with 100% organic grains, herbs, and flowers and can be heated in the microwave or cooled in the freezer. It’s small, lightweight, and flexible – easy to take with you anywhere.
To keep it in place, it has 2 handles you can use to keep it in place when you are walking around. It also safe to wet and use as a moist heating pad.
Overall, a great value for the money little heating pad, that may actually become your best buddy when your neck hurts.
Carex Bed Buddy Pros
- Highly portable and easy to use
- Can be used as a moist heat pad
- Natural filling
- Too small to use for the shoulders
👉 It can also be used for lower back pain, stomach pain and period cramps, joint pain, and arthritis.
4. Theratherm Heating Pad – Best Moist Neck Heating Pad
- Size – 16 x 9.5 x 3 inches
- Weight – 2.6 pounds
- Temperature Settings – 88 F – 166 F
The Chattanooga Theratherm neck heating pad has a flannel covering which draws moisture from the air and delivers intense heat (88-166 degrees Fahrenheit) to your neck and shoulder area.
The Theratherm neck heating pad is a very effective neck pain relief tool. The deep moist heat seems to penetrate deep into the aches and pains of the muscles.
- Lightweight, easy to move around with
- Flannel covering feels nice on bare skin
- A digital controller allows you to control temperature and treatment time (up to one hour before it shuts off)
- UL and cUL classified.
- Doesn’t get very wet, you won’t need a towel under it
- The cover is removable and washable
✅ Price – check today’s price on Amazon
- The timer can be set to 1-hour maximum, after that you’ll have to turn it on again. However, you can restart the timer immediately.
- Not designed to wrap the neck
Consider combining heat therapy with massage therapy in one device. See the best neck massage pillows.
5. UTK Heating Pad Best Infrared Neck Heating Pad
- Size – 27.6 x 24.6 x 0.5 inches. The heating area is 10 x 14 inches
- Weight – 2.2 lbs
- Temperature Settings – 103℉ – 159℉
Far Infrared heat penetrates much deeper than conventional heating pads, and won’t burn your skin. The FIR heat is generated through natural jade stones (healing stones), which emit infrared waves when heated.
A shielding layer around the heating wires reduces EMF to zero, and the stones produce negative ions. Numerous studies show negative ions produce biochemical reactions that relieve stress, relieve depression, boost energy, and boost the immune system.
This heating pad has the most solid construction, a digital timer with temperature control, and a Velcro strap to keep it in place.
And that’s not all:
The timer can be set to 4 hours (!) continuous use!
👉 Related: The 5 Best Infrared Heating Pads for Back Pain
✅ Price – check this page on Amazon
6. Brookstone Hot & Cold Neck Wrap – Best Aromatherapy Neck Wrap
- Size – 12.2 x 7 x 3 inches
- Weight – 3.9 Pounds
This soft and comfortable heat pad covers your upper back, neck and shoulders perfectly, and has a higher than average collar for all neck sizes.
Like the first one, this one can also be used for cold therapy, which we usually recommend for an acute injury. It stays hot for about half an hour.
Filling – Lavender, White Willow, Valerian Root, Chamomile, Rosemary, Peppermint, Spearmint, Hops, Yellow Dock, Lemongrass, Cinnamon, and Yarrow.
👉 It Can also be used for: abdominal pain, PMS cramps, joint pain, lower and upper back pain
✅ Price – The best price is found on Amazon!
DIY Neck Heating Pad
If you want to make your own microwave neck wrap, all you’ll need is a cotton fabric, cotton thread, pins, scissors, and a sewing machine. Below is a video with simple instructions:
How Long Should You Keep a Heating Pad on Your Neck?
In most double-blind clinical studies (with positive results from thermal therapy) the subjects received 15-20 minutes of treatment, at least twice a week. Infrared heating pads require less treatment time due to the deeper penetration into muscle tissues, but treatment is not limited.
It is safe to use a neck heating pad for more than 20 minutes (up to 30 minutes) – every day – until the pain is significantly reduced.
(See the list of studies at the bottom of the post)
What is the Best Heating Pad for Neck and Shoulder Pain?
Through our research, the best value neck and shoulder heating pads are Pure Relief (best electric), Sunbeam Renue (longest neck collar), Theratherm (best moist heating pad), UTK infrared neck wrap (best infrared), Carex Bed Buddy neck wrap (best microwaveable), and Brookstone aromatherapy wrap.
Choose the one that fits your needs and preferences most, and check for price, return policy, and warranty.
We recommend using your neck heating pad as soon as possible after developing painful flares or stiffness to speed up the healing process.
Thermotherapy is scientifically proven effective for mechanical neck pain, and using an electric neck wrap is one of the best ways to use this simple and proven pain relief method – at home.
We truly hope you found these neck heating pad reviews useful and time-saving. If you have any questions or comments, please share them with us in the comments below.
To your health and happiness,
The Back Pain Relief Products Team
Cramer, Holger & Baumgarten, Christian & Choi, Eun & Lauche, Romy & Saha, Felix & Musial, Frauke & Dobos, Gustav. (2012). Thermotherapy self-treatment for neck pain relief – A randomized controlled trial. European Journal of Integrative Medicine.
Dehghan M, Farahbod F. The efficacy of thermotherapy and cryotherapy on pain relief in patients with acute low back pain, a clinical trial study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8(9):LC01-LC4. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2014/7404.4818
Cramer, Holger & Baumgarten, Christian & Choi, Eun & Lauche, Romy & Saha, Felix & Musial, Frauke & Dobos, Gustav. (2012). Thermotherapy self-treatment for neck pain relief – A randomized controlled trial. European Journal of Integrative Medicine. 4. e371-e378. 10.1016/j.eujim.2012.04.001.