The 4 Best Extra Large Heating Pads in 2020 (Updated Reviews)
It took me quite a long time to find the best large heating pad on the market.
A friend of mine suffers from back pain and sciatica, which radiates to his buttocks, so he needs a king size heating pad to cover everything in one treatment.
Until now he had to use his small heating pad twice the time to relieve his pain both in his back and legs, and I know he is not the only one looking for a high quality extra large heating pad.
The 4 king size heat pads below would be great for all kinds of large area pain in your body:
1. Back pain and sciatica pain
2. Leg Pain
3. Fibromyalgia, arthritis, multiple injuries after a car accident, etc.)
These 3 heating pads use different heat therapy types (dry heat, moist heat or deep heat – infrared heat), and you’ll see the pros and cons of each of them right below.
The 4 Best Extra Large Heating Pads (2020)
Extra-large heating pads come in a wide range of prices, mainly due to different features, like different heat options, multiple heat settings, and a removable cover.
Since these high-quality pads will last you for years, you may want to invest a little more in a heating pad with these special features.
Through our research, here are the top 3 large heating pads. Below you’ll find their pros & cons.
|Sunbeam King Size|
|12 x 24 inches||4.6|
|BodyMed Digital |
|14 x 27 inches||4.6|
|UTK Infrared |
Jade Heat Pad
|31 x 21 inches||4.7🥇|
|26 x 35 inches||4.6|
1. Sunbeam King Size Heating Pad, Dry/Moist
Size: 12” X 24”
Weight: 1.4 pounds
Rated number of watts: 120V, 180W (watts), 60 Hz.
- You can see the progress as the pad heats up in the digital LCD controller
- It offers continuous heat and an adjustable auto-off feature to keep safe.
- Comes with a soft micro-plush cover
- Comes with a 9 feet long power cord
- 5-year warranty and manufacturer has a live chat in case of any problem.
How Hot Does it Get?
The highest heat setting (6) is too hot to put next to your skin and even too hot to touch. It would require at least one layer of clothing between the pad and your body, I doubt you’ll even use it.
- Can’t be sharply folded (though you can mold it gently to wrap around your joints), the cover is not removable.
(This can easily be solved by getting a replacement heating pad cover, like this one)
✅ Price – The Sunbeam large heating pad usually costs more than $30, so if you find it for less than that – it’s a good deal.
2. BodyMed – Best XL Moist Heating Pad
Size: 14″ x 27″
Weight: 4.5 pounds
Volts: AC90 – 125V, 40 – 60 Hz, 2.6A/330W MAX
This heavy-duty large heating pad allows you to set the exact temperature you want with your controller, and this one gets very hot:
You can set it up to 166F.
- It doesn’t require water: the BodyMed pad uses humidity to produce its own moisture
- Digital LCD controller allows choosing a specific temperature that’s right for you
- Auto shut off after 15 minutes but can be adjusted to up to one hour.
- Soft fleece cover
- Flexible – you can wrap it around your joints
- Cord length: 6’6” (or 78″) from plug to pad, including the controller (thermostat + timer).
- The cover is removable and washable. It has a Velcro strap to make sure it’s folded close to it doesn’t get caught with other garments while laundering.
- 1-year warranty
✅ Best Price – Yes, this one is much more expensive than the Sunbeam heating pad. However, check the 3 different sizes because the price varies greatly.
- The controller doesn’t light up when you use it, and it doesn’t beep when it turns off.
- No option of continuous heat, 60 minutes is the longest setting.
And now, for the #1 best extra large heating pad in 2020:
3.🥇 The Best Extra Large Heating Pad: UTK Infrared Jade Heat Mat
Through my extensive research, the UTK large Infrared heating pad is the best (and safest!) large heating pad and the one I recommended to my friend.
While electric heating pads are effective and not expensive, there’s still one thing that concerns me:
They all emit EMF (electromagnetic field) radiation.
For the last 2 decades, many studies have investigated the health dangers of EMF, suspecting that it can weaken the immune system, hurt brain DNA and increase the risk of cancer.
Most studies haven’t found a direct link, but none of them were able to rule it out either.
This is especially true when you use a large electric device so close to your body, for a long time.
📢 This is why I’ve recommended an Infrared Heating pad, which emits very low to no EMF radiation at all, and uses Jade or Amethyst stones to deliver the deep penetrating infrared healing waves into your body.
This is why the UTK large heating pad is the winner in this category.
Size: 31 X 21 inches, about ½ inches thick (yet this only the “medium” size. There’s a giant one which can cover your entire body)
Weight: 4.8 pounds, includes 126 natural jade stones.
Wattage: 100 watts
Standard Voltage: AC120 Volts
The UTK infrared heating pad penetrates 200-300 times deeper into your body without exposure to electromagnetic radiation.
- Uses natural jade stones to deliver deep-penetrating infrared heat
- Relieves stress and boosts energy through negative ions therapy
- Infrared heat makes you produce more sweat than via electric pads (helps to detox)
- Heat is deep penetrating and effective without feeling extremely hot
- Digital controller with auto-shutoff
- Comfortable to lean on and you can sleep on it
- 1-60 heat settings, 50 feels comfortable for most people
- Flexible and can be used to wrap any part of your body
- Built-in timer, but allows for continuous heat
- I’ve found no cons other than the price.
The infrared heating pad is much more expensive than a regular electric one, but in my opinion, the high effectiveness and safety are worth every penny.
✅ Price – we found the best price on Amazon
4. Sharper Image Infrared Heating Pad
The Sharper Image extra-large (26″ x 35″) heating pad emits infrared rays via carbon fibers at wavelengths greater than 3000 nanometers (far infrared).
It has no stones in it so it’s lightweight (only 1.72 Lbs) and flexible – can be used on a chair, recliner, etc, and even as a foot warmer.
It has 4 heat setting and the cover is soft and comfortable.
Like all FIR heating pads, the surface does not get hot to the touch, but the heat penetrates deep into your tissues as you lay on it for at least 30 minutes.
✅ Price – the best price is on the official site
What is the Largest Heating Pad Available?
The largest electric heat pad would be a full-body pad, also known as a heated mattress.
We recommend the 24” X 70” UTK-H10030L PU Leather with Jade Stones.
It will cover most of your body, and still costs less than half of the well-known infrared heated Biomat.
It has 492 natural jade stones and emits the deep penetrating heat through the stones and carbon fiber while emitting minimum EMF radiation.
It is also the hottest extra large heating pad, and the temperature can go up to 159 F.
It wasn’t easy finding the best extra-large heating pad for my aching friend.
Some heating pads heat quickly, others take longer. Some have heat settings and some offer exact temperature control.
Some have removable covers, and some emit too much EMF.
The list goes on and on.
It’s not like there’s any quick way to compare size and features on most websites.
When I stumbled upon the hidden EMF danger in heating pads, it made me quickly search for an alternative, and that’s how I found the safest one I recommended above.
While this was a lot of work, I truly hope that it has helped my friend and it helps others in the same spot.
You can click any of the images above to find out even more about each heating pad.
To your health and happiness,
The Back Pain Relief Products Team
👉 See the best heating pads for menstrual cramps