The 8 Best Portable (Cordless) Heating Pads for Back Pain
Having your own portable heating pad you can wear on the go can be a lifesaver for anyone suffering from acute or chronic back pain, sciatica, bulging disc, pinched nerve, and arthritis.
A wireless, wearable back heat pad allows you to keep functioning and going about your day – without back pain (or at least much less pain) – at work, in the car, and while traveling.
This post contains affiliate links.
👉 In a Hurry?
Check out the comparison table below. Under it, you’ll find their pros & cons and our portable heating pad reviews)
|Portable Heating Pad||Bottom Line||Heat Levels & Duration||Price|
|BriteLeafs Far Infrared Heat Pad||Best cordless heating pad|
|2 Heat settings|
2-4 hours per charge
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|SkyGenius Portable Heat Belt||Best for Travel||3 heat settings|
1 hour per charge
|✅ $29 at SkyGenius|
|Sunbeam Cordless Heating Pad||Trusted Brand|
New & Trending
|3 heat settings|
4 hours per charge
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|Hot Shot Rechargeable Hot Water Bottle||Best rechargeable hot water Bottle||1 heat setting|
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|Thermacare Heat Wraps||Best portable heat wraps|
One time use
|1 heat level|
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|MOQY Microwaveable Heating Pad||Best microwaveable moist heat pad||1 heat level|
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|12v Car Heating Pad||Best heating pad for the car||Adjustable heat||✅ Check Price on Amazon|
- Benefits of Cordless Heating Pads
- How to Choose a Cordless Heating Pad
- The 8 Best Cordless (Portable) Heating Pads
- 1.🥇 BriteLeafs Best Cordless Heating Pad
- 2. SkyGenius Best Travel Heating Pad
- 3. Sunbeam GoHeat Battery Operated Heating Pad Popular
- 4. Beurer Wireless Heating Belt Best USB Heating Pad
- 5. Hot Shot – Best Rechargeable Hot Water Bottle
- 6. Thermacare – Best Portable Heat Wrap
- 7. MOQY – Best Microwavable Moist Heat Pack
- 8. Legius Portable Heat Pad for the Car
- How to use a Wireless Heating Pad for Back Pain
- How Does a Heating Pad Help Back Pain?
Benefits of Cordless Heating Pads
You can use a cordless, battery-operated, or USB-powered heating pad to quickly relieve your aching back – on the go and anytime you need it. Plus, wireless heating pads are compact and lightweight, and you can also use them for neck pain, stomach aches, joint pain or just to warm your feet and hands in the cold weather.
Below you’ll find the best cordless heating pad, the best rechargeable hot water, the best USB heating pad, the best heating pad for flights, and the best back heating wraps.
How to Choose a Cordless Heating Pad
When you choose a cordless, battery-operated heating pad, it’s recommended to make sure it is safe (no consumer complains about sudden burning), that is has at least two levels of heat to choose from, that it heats up quickly, that it has an automatic shut off, and that it is easy to use, preferably with an intuitive controller.
The 8 Best Cordless (Portable) Heating Pads
Here are the full and detailed portable heating pads reviews:
1.🥇 BriteLeafs Best Cordless Heating Pad
- Size – 24″ x 8″
- Weight – 1 pound
- Heat levels – 2
The BriteLeafs battery operated (Lithium) wearable heating pad gets our highest rating for a portable heating pad for back pain, and here’s why:
This wearable heating pad for back pain is rechargeable, the heat lasts for 2-4 hours (depending on the 2 temperature settings), and it uses carbon fiber to deliver far-infrared heat – which penetrates deep into your muscles and tissues.
👉 Related: Electric vs. Infrared Heating Pads
BriteLeafs Pros (According to Consumers)
- Far infrared heat penetrates deep (up to 2 inches) into your back and does not only temporarily relieve pain but speeds up healing from any injury you may have.
- Heat lasts for 2-3 hours per charge!
- The Velcro strap (70 inches) makes it very comfortable to use and stays put on your back no matter how active you are.
- This battery-heated back warmer has 2 temperature settings, and the heat can get intense – you can wear over clothes and still feel the heat very well.
- Fit for travel – you can charge in both 110 – 220V outlets or you can also plug into a computer to charge. Also, Lithium batteries are allowed on planes if you take them with you to your cabin.
👉See how this FIR heat pad doubled painless sleep hours for a back pain sufferer HERE.
- It doesn’t come with an extra battery. You can order another one HERE.
- Charging the battery fully may take up to 8 hours.
2. SkyGenius Best Travel Heating Pad
- Size – 50.39 x 5.3 x 0.2 inches – adjustable for all sizes!
- Weight – 11 ounces
- Heat levels – 3
The SkyGenius USB heating pad delivers infrared heat fast via Graphene heating films.
(Graphene is the newest, strongest, and thinnest heat conducting material)
Powered by a power adapter (5V2A) you can take it on a plane with you, to relieve back muscle pain on flights, and you can use it in your car as well.
It comes with adjustable Velcro straps and has 3 temperature settings you can choose from.
SkyGenius Pros (According to Consumers)
- Adjustable heat – 3 heat settings – low/medium/high
- Allows to manage back pain or stomach pain on international airplane travel
- Runs for a few hours, depending on the battery strength and charge
- Can also be used in a car – just plug It into the USB
- High user ratings
- Must be plugged in to work
- Power bank not included, you can get one HERE
✅ Price – $29 at SkyGenius
3. Sunbeam GoHeat Battery Operated Heating Pad Popular
- Size: 9.5″ x 12″
- Weight – 1.05 lbs.
- Heat levels – 3
Sunbeam is a trusted heating pads brand for many years and has released the new GoHeat rechargeable heating pad in 2020. It takes only 30 seconds to feel the soothing heat, right after you’ve chosen the right heat setting for you (out of 3 settings).
The Lithium-ion battery keeps the heat going for up to 4 hours per single charge and fits unnoticeably in the pad’s side pocket.
This 9.5-inch by 12-inch wearable wrap (fits for up to 55 inches) stays in place and is adjustable via a high-quality strap.
Sunbeam GoHeat Pros (According to Consumers)
- Trusted brand
- Is thin enough to lie on comfortably
- Lasts for one hour on high heat, and 4 hours on low heat
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Can not be used while charging
- The HIgher capacity charger is sold separately
✅ Price – check price on Amazon
4. Beurer Wireless Heating Belt Best USB Heating Pad
- Size – 11″ x 7″ x 2.7″
- Weight – 15 ounces
- Heat settings – 3
The Beurer Portable Heated Belt is a true winner: with a power bank that lasts for 2 hours of heat on the go, adjustable size, a USB charging function for your smartphone, and 3 illuminated temperature settings, you can enjoy the pain-relieving heat wherever you are.
This cordless & wearable infrared heating back belt comes with an auto shut-off (after 110 minutes), is not bulky, and has a soft enough cover to use under your clothes – without anyone seeing it.
Beurer Cordless Back Belt Pros (According to Consumers)
- Soft, skin-friendly cover
- Can be worn discreetly under the clothes
- Lasts for 2 hours when fully charged
- Machine washable at 30 degrees celsius
- The belt can be adjusted to fit around the waist
- Comes with a storage bag
✅ Price – we found the best price on Amazon
- Some users feel that it doesn’t get hot enough if you don’t wear it directly on your skin
5. Hot Shot – Best Rechargeable Hot Water Bottle
- Size – 10.5″ x 7″
- Heat settings – 1 (on/off)
If you are a hot water bottle person, the Hot Shot rechargeable hot water eliminates the need to boil water (and doesn’t need refilling) and once charged, keeps the heat on for the entire night under your blanket.
It has 6 layers of protection for extra safety and the material is super soft and cozy.
- It can be used on any part of your body, including hands, feet, stomach, neck, and more.
- It warms up super-fast (15 minutes), gets to a great temperature, and stays warm for quite a while.
- Great for use in a car. Charge it at home and use it in the car for hours.
- Fair price
- Excellent customer service – if for some reason you won’t like it, Hot Shot will fully refund you – no questions asked.
- You can’t move around with it, you’ll have to sit or lie down with it (on the other hand, it forces you to relax and rest)
- You can’t use it on a plane since it’s filled with water
6. Thermacare – Best Portable Heat Wrap
- Size – 8″ x 8″ x 4″
- Weight – 1.5 lbs.
- Heat levels – 1
The best thing about the Thermacare heat wraps is that they are fully discrete. They are ultra-thin and wearable under your clothes for 16 hours of lower back pain relief.
The air-activated therapeutic heat will last for 8 hours, and you’ll enjoy 8 more hours of pain relief after you took it off.
The Thermacare heat wraps contain heat cells that get activated by air to provide low-level heat for 8 hours straight, but you can only use each wrap – once (It’s what makes them one of the best heating pads for cramps as well)
- They stay put – they adapt to your movement while staying close to your skin.
- 8 hours of heat – without recharging or plugging
- 100% portable, non-electric – no cord, battery, recharging
- Discrete – hide it under your clothes and no one will know it’s there
- It can be used on other pain areas in your body – shoulders, knees, etc.
- There’s a subscription option (subscribe & save) on Amazon
- Each wrap can be used once
Thermacare heat wraps are the best choice for people who want to keep functioning, working, and doing chores for 8-10 hours. They are completely discrete, work as advertised, and are 100% portable. Check today’s price on Amazon.
👉 Related: The Best wireless TENS units to relieve your back pain naturally
7. MOQY – Best Microwavable Moist Heat Pack
- Size – 12.6″ x 6″ x 0.8″
- Weight – 1.8 lbs.
- Heat levels – 1
The MOQY hot pack (made in Germany) for back pain is a high-quality, 100% portable heat wrap for lower back pain, made in Germany. Filled with moor mud and covered with 100% cotton, the MOQY heat wrap offers a deep moist heat effect – without any water.
When warming it up to 125°F in the microwave it will stay over 104°F for nearly 110 minutes. To use it as a cold pack, all you have to do is freeze it for an hour.
- 100% portable, non-electric
- Can be used as a hot or a cold pack – microwaveable and freezable
- Made with natural ingredients
- Comes with a Velcro strap
- No EMF radiation
- Quick heat – warming time is between 2:30 and 3:15 minutes
- GMP certified and FDA registered
- 1-year warranty and 30 days 100% money-back guarantee
- Needs to be warmed in small steps so it doesn’t get too hot for you, and it’s best to turn it around once, to ensure the evenest temperature distribution
8. Legius Portable Heat Pad for the Car
- Size – 8″ x 8″
- Heat levels – adjustable through remote control
The Leguis 12v car heating pad is a low-cost option for relieving back pain when you drive, or just to keep you warm when winter driving.
All you have to do is plug it in your 12-volt DC outlet, turn it on with the control, set the temperature – and go. The cover is made with soft thick flannel and is waterproof.
Legius 12v Heat Pad Pros
- Low price
- Adjustable heat – set temperature with controller – up to 150 F.
- Non-flammable material
- Safety auto shut off after 45 minutes
- Light and portable
- Heats up fast
- Universal fit for all vehicles
- Safe for cloth seats
- You’ll need to unplug it before you leave the car because it may drain the battery otherwise.
How to use a Wireless Heating Pad for Back Pain
Studies have found that heat therapy works best when used for long periods and consistently. There is no limit on the number of hours you can use your portable heating pad, as long as you feel comfortable and hydrate.
The minimum treatment time would be 30 minutes daily. Choose a temperature setting that you can tolerate, and that makes you feel comfortable.
Do not fall asleep with a heating pad that doesn’t have an auto shut-off.
If you are at home and don’t have to move around (or at night) – you can use large heating pads (electric) that can cover larger areas in your body – for a longer time.
How Does a Heating Pad Help Back Pain?
Heat therapy is proven to significantly relieve and heal back pain. Thermotherapy dilates the blood vessels of the muscles around your spine, which increases oxygen flow and nutrients to the area, helping to heal the tissues. Heat also helps to reduce the transmission of pain signals to your brain, which results in lasting back pain relief.
Plus, heat decreases stiffness as well as injury and increases flexibility and overall feeling of comfort.
Back pain mainly happens due to strains and overextensions, creating tension in your muscles and soft tissues around your spine.
This results in restricted blood circulation, which sends pain signals to the brain.
A portable heating pad is a low-cost and proven way to relieve back pain on the go – where ever you are and no matter what you have to do.
There’s no doubt:
Heat therapy works quickly and effectively. It both reduces pain and speeds up healing from any back pain causes – including arthritis, muscle spasms, sciatica, bulging and herniated disc, and degenerative disc disease.
We recommend adding a non-portable, larger infrared heating pad you can sleep on or use while you relax at home.
To your health and happiness,
Dehghan M, Farahbod F. The efficacy of thermotherapy and cryotherapy on pain relief in patients with acute low back pain, a clinical trial study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8(9):LC01–LC4. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2014/7404.4818