The 9 Best Cordless Heating Pads for Back Pain
Having a portable and cordless heating pad you can wear on the go can be a lifesaver for anyone suffering from acute or chronic back pain, sciatica, bulging disc, pinched nerve, and arthritis.
A wireless, wearable back heat pad allows you to keep functioning and going about your day – without back pain (or at least much less pain) – at work, in the car, and while traveling.
In a Hurry?
Check out the comparison table below. Under it, you’ll find their pros & cons and our cordless heating pad reviews)
|Portable Heating Pad||Bottom Line||Heat Levels & Duration||Price|
|BriteLeafs Far Infrared Heat Pad||🥇 Best cordless heating pad|
|2 Heat settings|
2-4 hours per charge
|✅ $57 on Amazon|
|Sunbeam Cordless Heating Pad||Trusted Brand||3 heat settings|
4 hours per charge
|✅ $40 on Amazon|
|FlyHorse USB Heat & Massage Belt||Best Travel Heat Pad|
|4 heat & massage settings|
40 minutes per charge
|✅ $23 on Amazon|
|CUEHEAT Heated Back Brace||Best with Massage||3 heat levels|
3 massage levles
4-8 hours use per charge
|✅ $80 on Amazon|
|12v Car Heating Pad||Best heating pad for the car||Adjustable heat||✅ $28 on Amazon|
No ads, reader-supported: This post may contain affiliate links, at no extra cost to you.
- No wires No Worries: Benefits of Cordless Heating Pads
- How to Choose a Portable Heating Pad
- The 9 Best Cordless Heating Pads, Wraps, and Belts
- 1. BriteLeafs – Best Cordless Heating Pad
- 2. Flyhorse Portable Heat Belt – Best Travel Heat Pad
- 3. Sunbeam GoHeat Battery Operated Heating Pad – Popular
- 4. Beurer Wireless Heating Belt – Best USB Heating Pad
- 5. CUEHEAT Heating Pad Back Brace – Best With Massage
- 6. Happy Heat – Best Rechargeable Hot Water Bottle
- 7. Thermacare – Best Stick On Heat Wrap
- 8. MOQY – Best Microwavable Moist Heat Pack
- 9. Trillium Portable Heat Pad – Best 12V for the Car
- How Long Can You Use a Portable Heating Pad?
- How Does a Heating Pad Help with Back Pain?
- Can You Use a Cordless Heating Pads While Sleeping?
- Can You Bring a Heating Pad on a Plane?
No wires No Worries: Benefits of Cordless Heating Pads
A cordless heating pad can be used anywhere you are or on the go to quickly relieve your aching back – anytime you need it.
Wireless heating pads are compact and lightweight, and the best ones are versatile and can be used for other areas such as the neck, stomach, and joints – or just to warm your feet and hands in the cold weather.
Below you’ll find the best cordless heating pad, the best rechargeable hot water, the best USB heating pad, the best heating pad for flights, and the best back heating wraps.
How to Choose a Portable Heating Pad
When you choose a heating pad for back pain (USB/battery operated/microwaveable), make sure it is safe (no consumer complains about sudden burning), that it has at least two levels of heat to choose from, that it heats up quickly, that it has an automatic shut off, and that it is easy to use – preferably with an intuitive controller.
If you choose a rechargeable one, make sure the heat lasts for at least a couple of hours per single charge. Also, make sure the size of the treatment area covers the entire aching area.
The 9 Best Cordless Heating Pads, Wraps, and Belts
Here are the full and detailed portable heating pad reviews:
1. BriteLeafs – Best Cordless Heating Pad
The BriteLeafs battery-operated wearable heating pad gets our highest rating for a portable heating pad for back pain, and here’s why:
This wearable heating pad for back pain is rechargeable, the heat lasts for 2-4 hours (depending on the temperature setting), and it uses carbon fiber to deliver far-infrared heat – which penetrates deep into your muscles and tissues.
Since far infrared heat is superior to regular electric heating pads, we chose this one as the best-value cordless heating pad in 2023.
It’s the best portable heating pad to allow you to keep functioning and doing your chores – while actively speeding up the healing of your back pain through the superior infrared heat.
Related: Electric vs. Infrared Heating Pads
- Far infrared heat penetrates deep (up to 2 inches) into your back and does not only temporarily relieve pain but also speeds up healing from any injury you may have.
- Heat lasts for 2-3 hours per charge!
- The Velcro strap (70 inches) makes it very comfortable to use and stays put on your back no matter how active you are.
- This battery-heated back warmer has 2 temperature settings, and the heat can get intense – you can wear over clothes and still feel the heat very well.
- Fit for travel – you can charge in both 110 – 220V outlets or you can also plug into a computer to charge. Also, Lithium batteries are allowed on planes if you take them with you to your cabin.
- It doesn’t come with an extra battery. You can order another one HERE.
- Charging the battery fully may take up to 8 hours.
✅ Available and on Amazon ($57)
2. Flyhorse Portable Heat Belt – Best Travel Heat Pad
The Flyhorse USB Heating Belt is completely portable once you charge it fully, and we especially like that it has 4 heat settings and 4 vibration massage levels to choose from – to best fit your needs.
You can use the heat and massage together or just one function at a time.
The adjustable strap (with a stable buckle) allows you to place it almost anywhere on your body and will cover a decent area in your lower back, abdomen, and other large areas.
It is made from high-quality materials and feels very durable and well-made.
The pad cover is soft and comfortable, and the heat distribution is even and consistent.
USB charging makes this one the best travel heat pad, and you can charge it and use it in your car, on a plane, or through your computer.
The battery will last for about 40 minutes of non-stop use.
- Heats up in 3 seconds!
- Adjustable heat and vibration – 4 heat settings and 4 massage settings
- Easily fits in most handbags
- Allows to manage back pain or stomach pain on international airplane travel, or in the car
- Quiet operation
- Takes only about 20 minutes for a full charge
- You can’t use it while it’s charging
- Heat level 3 may be too hot for many people
- The charge doesn’t last long enough for period cramps (30-40 minutes)
- Unnecessary LED light show
✅ Available on Amazon ($23 with coupon code under the price)
3. Sunbeam GoHeat Battery Operated Heating Pad – Popular
Sunbeam has been a trusted heating pad brand for many years and released the new GoHeat rechargeable heating pad in 2020.
It takes only 30 seconds to feel the soothing heat, right after you’ve chosen the right heat setting for you (out of 3 settings).
The Lithium-ion battery keeps the heat going for up to 4 hours per charge and fits unnoticeably in the pad’s side pocket.
This 9.5-inch by 12-inch wearable wrap (fits for up to 55 inches) stays in place and is adjustable via a high-quality strap.
Sunbeam GoHeat Pros
- Trusted brand
- Is thin enough to lie on comfortably
- Lasts for one hour on high heat, and 4 hours on low heat
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Can not be used while charging
- The higher-capacity charger is sold separately
4. Beurer Wireless Heating Belt – Best USB Heating Pad
The Beurer Portable Heated Belt is a true winner: With a power bank that lasts for 2 hours of heat on the go, adjustable size, a USB charging function for your smartphone, and 3 illuminated temperature settings, you can enjoy the pain-relieving heat wherever you are.
This cordless & wearable infrared heating back belt comes with an auto shut-off (after 110 minutes), is not bulky, and has a soft enough cover to use under your clothes – without anyone seeing it.
- Soft, skin-friendly cover
- Can be worn discreetly under the clothes
- Lasts for 2 hours when fully charged
- Machine washable at 30 degrees Celsius
- The belt can be adjusted to fit around the waist
- Comes with a storage bag
- Some users feel that it doesn’t get hot enough if you don’t wear it directly on your skin
5. CUEHEAT Heating Pad Back Brace – Best With Massage
Adding a massage to your on-the-go treatment makes the heat treatment more effective, relaxing, and pleasant.
The CURHEAT back brace with heat and massage is powered by a rechargeable battery (7.4V 3000mAh lithium-ion battery) that lasts up to 8 hours on a low setting and takes 4 hours to be fully charged.
Even if you use both the heat and massage functions, the battery will last for 3-6 hours.
This heated massage belt (which heats up in 15 seconds) has two elastic bands on the side to make it the perfect fit for you and prevent it from sliding down.
You can choose from 3 heat settings and 3 massage settings that work together or separately – as you wish.
When we tested it, we found that the highest vibration intensity is best compared to the first 2 ones which are pretty weak and almost useless.
The cover is soft and feels nice against the skin, though it will get hot enough to use over your clothes.
The only cons we could think of are the fact that it is not machine washable, and the potential EMF radiation emitted from the battery being so close to your body.
However, the battery has its own pocket and is small, light, and hardly noticeable.
Otherwise, this is one of the highest-rated cordless heating pads on Amazon.
✅ Available on Amazon ($80)
If this one is heavy on your budget, you can go for the Comfier heated massage belt, which costs about half this price, but is not cordless and needs to be plugged in to use:
6. Happy Heat – Best Rechargeable Hot Water Bottle
If you are a hot water bottle person, the Happy Heat rechargeable hot water bottle eliminates the need to boil water (and doesn’t need refilling) and once charged, keeps the heat on for up to 5 hours under your blanket.
It takes only 15-30 minutes of charging for the heat to last for hours. And, it shuts off automatically when it reaches 140-158 F.
Happy Heat Pros
- It can be used on any part of your body, including hands, feet, stomach, neck, and more.
- It warms up super-fast (15 minutes), gets to a great temperature, and stays warm for quite a while.
- Great for use in a car. Charge it at home and use it in the car for hours.
- Fair price
- You can’t move around with it, you’ll have to sit or lie down with it (on the other hand, it forces you to relax and rest)
- You can’t use it on a plane since it’s filled with water
- You can’t use it while it’s charging
✅ Available on Amazon ($30)
7. Thermacare – Best Stick On Heat Wrap
The best thing about the Thermacare heat wraps is that they are fully discrete. They are ultra-thin and wearable under your clothes for 16 hours of lower back pain relief.
The air-activated therapeutic heat will last for 8 hours, and you’ll enjoy 8 more hours of pain relief after you took it off.
The Thermacare heat wraps contain heat cells that get activated by air to provide low-level heat for 8 hours straight, but you can only use each wrap – once (It’s what makes them one of the best heating pads for cramps as well)
- They stay put – they adapt to your movement while staying close to your skin.
- 8 hours of heat – without recharging or plugging
- 100% portable, non-electric – no cord, battery, recharging
- Discrete – hide it under your clothes and no one will know it’s there
- It can be used on other pain areas in your body – shoulders, knees, etc.
- There’s a subscription option (subscribe & save) on Amazon
- Each wrap can be used once
Thermacare heat wraps are the best choice for people who want to keep functioning, working, and doing chores for 8-10 hours. They are completely discrete, work as advertised, and are 100% portable.
✅ Available on Amazon ($37 for 10 wraps)
Related: The Best wireless TENS units to relieve your back pain naturally
8. MOQY – Best Microwavable Moist Heat Pack
The MOQY hot pack (made in Germany) for back pain is a high-quality, 100% portable heat wrap for lower back pain, made in Germany.
Filled with moor mud and covered with 100% cotton, the MOQY heat wrap offers a deep moist heat effect – without any water.
When warming it up to 125°F in the microwave it will stay over 104°F for nearly 110 minutes.
To use it as a cold pack, all you have to do is freeze it for an hour.
- 100% portable, non-electric
- Can be used as a hot or a cold pack – microwaveable and freezable
- Made with natural ingredients
- Comes with a Velcro strap
- No EMF radiation
- GMP-certified and FDA-registered
- 1-year warranty and 30 days 100% money-back guarantee
- Needs to be warmed in small steps so it doesn’t get too hot for you, and it’s best to turn it around once, to ensure the evenest temperature distribution
We conclude that the MOQY microwaveable & freezable lower back wrap is a high-quality product with attention to detail.
Perfect for relieving lower back pain on the go and highly adjustable.
✅ Available on Amazon
9. Trillium Portable Heat Pad – Best 12V for the Car
The Trillium 12v car heating pad is a low-cost option for relieving back pain when you drive, or just to keep you warm when winter driving.
All you have to do is plug it in your 12-volt DC outlet, turn it on with the control, set the temperature – and go. The cover is made with soft thick flannel and is waterproof.
- Low price
- Adjustable heat – set temperature with controller – up to 150 F.
- Non-flammable material
- Safety auto shut off after 45 minutes
- Light and portable
- Heats up fast
- Universal fit for all vehicles
- Safe for cloth seats
- You’ll need to unplug it before you leave the car because it may drain the battery otherwise.
✅ Available on Amazon ($28)
How Long Can You Use a Portable Heating Pad?
Studies have found that heat therapy works best when used for long periods and consistently.
There is no limit on the number of hours you can use your portable heating pad, as long as you feel comfortable and hydrated.
The minimum treatment time would be 30 minutes daily. Choose a temperature setting that you can tolerate, and that makes you feel comfortable.
Do not fall asleep with a heating pad that doesn’t have an auto shut-off.
If you are at home and don’t have to move around (or at night) – you can use large heating pads (electric) that can cover larger areas in your body – for a longer time.
How Long Do Cordless Heating Pads Stay Warm?
Cordless heating pads stay warm for 30 minutes to 8 hours, depending on the type of pad.
Battery-operated heat pads can last up to 6 hours per charge, depending on the battery capacity, gel heat pads stay warm for up to 30 minutes, and electric hot water bottles stay warm for about 5-6 hours, though you can not control the temperature.
Stick-on heat pads last for about 8 hours.
How Does a Heating Pad Help with Back Pain?
Heat therapy is proven to relieve back pain significantly. Thermotherapy dilates the blood vessels of the muscles around your spine, which increases oxygen flow and nutrients to the area, helping to heal the tissues.
Heat also helps to reduce the transmission of pain signals to your brain, which results in lasting back pain relief.
Plus, heat decreases stiffness as well as injury and increases flexibility and overall feeling of comfort.
Back pain mainly happens due to strains and overextensions, creating tension in your muscles and soft tissues around your spine.
This results in restricted blood circulation, which sends pain signals to the brain.
Can You Use a Cordless Heating Pads While Sleeping?
We don’t need experts to answer this question, just some common sense. Lying with your body weight against a rechargeable heating pad can increase the risk of burns to the skin – without you noticing.
Unless you are 100% sure the heating pad shuts off automatically after about 15 minutes, and that the temperature is set too low, we don’t recommend wearing a portable heating pad when you sleep.
Can You Bring a Heating Pad on a Plane?
Yes, you can bring heating pads on a plane. According to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations, electric heating pads are allowed in both carry-on and checked bags.
It’s best to pack your portable heating pad in your carry-on bag if you want to use it during the flight.
There are no size limitations for heating pads in carry-on baggage.
A portable heating pad is a low-cost and proven way to relieve back pain on the go – wherever you are and no matter what you have to do.
There’s no doubt:
Heat therapy works quickly and effectively.
It both reduces pain and speeds up healing from any back pain causes – including arthritis, muscle spasms, sciatica, bulging and herniated discs, and degenerative disc disease.
We recommend adding a non-portable, larger infrared heating pad you can sleep on or use while you relax at home.
To your health and happiness,
Dehghan M, Farahbod F. The efficacy of thermotherapy and cryotherapy on pain relief in patients with acute low back pain, a clinical trial study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8(9):LC01–LC4. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2014/7404.4818