The 5 Best Far Infrared Heating Pads (for Back Pain) in 2020
I never liked my electric heating pad. It was stiff, the material was unpleasant and I even got my skin burned once, a painful experience that I will never forget.
Plus, I hated the fact that the minute I turned it off, the pain came right back.
And then, I discovered the far infrared heating pad.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
👉In a hurry? See our comparison table below (followed by our full infrared heating pad reviews).
|Healing Therapies||Our Rating||Price|
|Far infrared heat|
Crystal therapy (Jade/Tourmaline stones)
Jump to review
|15% discount on this Amazon page|
|Serene Calm||Far infrared heat|
Crystal therapy (Jade/Tourmaline stones)
Jump to Review
|Only $69 - on the official site|
|Ereada Infrared & PEMF Mat||Far infrared heat|
PEMF therapy (magnetism)
Crystal therapy (Amethyst)
Photon Light (14 LEDs)
Jump to review
|Check sale price|
|Far Infrared Heat|
Crystal therapy (Jade stones)
|4.6 stars||Check Price|
|Far Infrared heat (Carbon fiber)||4.5 stars||Check Price|
Infrared light therapy is the wave of the future in the natural health and wellness world. Unfortunately, most people are still not aware of the superior benefits of infrared heating, compared to electric heating.
- 1 The Top 5 Infrared Heating Pads (for Back Pain)
- 2 The Best Infrared Heating Pad for Knees?
- 3 The Best Infrared Heating Pad for Neck & Shoulders
Infrared Heating Pads vs. Regular Electric Heating Pads
Electric heating pads use electric heating coils, which not only emit high levels of electromagnetic radiation but only heat your skin (or burn it, as has happened to so many people).
On the other hand, far infrared heating pads use natural stones, such as Jade, to deliver deep penetrating heat (infrared rays) which can penetrate all the way to your bones and create a uniform warming effect – without any side effects or risks.
The Top 5 Infrared Heating Pads (for Back Pain)
As with every other back pain products, not all infrared heating pads are created equal.
Since these heating pads are more expensive than conventional heating pads, it’s important to know how to choose the highest quality ones.
Below you’ll find the 5 highest rated infrared heating pads (one of the best back pain gifts), and the healing therapies they offer.
1. UTK Infrared Heating Pads Best Overall
The UTK Infrared Healing Pad features far-infrared heat (delivered via natural Jade/Tourmaline stones) and negative ions (more about that below).
What You Get
1. 5000 hours worth of continuous operation.
2. Electronic control for temperature and time (from 0-240 minutes by 15 minutes increments)
works fairly intuitively and easily.
3. Heats up in less than 10 minutes as described in the manual.
4. Digital timer on it so it shuts off automatically (Important plus convenient).
5. Comes in 3 sizes – Small, Medium, and Large. If your pain is only in your lower back, for example, you may just need the small (15” x 19”).
6. Flexible and can be wrapped around any part of your body.
7. Portable and compatible with both AC110-120 volts and AC220-240 volts.
8. It can be used at home, in the car, on your office chair – basically anywhere.
9. The electrical cord is extra long (8.5 feet), making for a more convenient hookup.
10. The Velcro strap keeps the pad in place throughout your entire treatment session.
11. One year warranty.
How it Works
When the jade is heated, it emits far-infrared heat that penetrates deep into your body and relieves pain, improves blood circulation, reduces tension and stress, and in time – improves muscle flexibility.
Jade is known as a healing stone and has been known to boost depleted spirits. It provides a steady stream of positive energy that helps you slowly recover from past problems.
Jade can also be used to increase longevity and luck (of course, it’s not scientifically proven to do that…)
To get the right temperature, you can crank it all the way up to the highest heat level possible. Within 5 minutes the pad is hot and you can adjust downward with no problems.
What’s the Purpose of the Negative Ions?
Negative ions are molecules with an extra electron that your body can absorb. They’re found in abundance at waterfalls, mountains, beaches, and in the air after a rainstorm.
The UTK infrared heating pad is designed to be used either on top of or underneath your body.
The soft format allows the pad to conform to the shape of your couch or chair or lounger, as well as drapes over the body area that you want to treat.
UTK Infrared Heating Pad Pros
- Heats up fast
- Jade stones and negative ions
- Extra-long electric cord
- Temp. and time controller
- May be a little heavy for the elderly
✅UTK FIR Heating Pads BEST Price & Coupon Code
Amazon frequently offers great sale prices for all UTK infrared heating pads. But, we’ve got you a special 15%-20% discount on the Tourmaline series! Go here to apply the coupon before this offer ends!
The large, full-body size is usually more than $500. If you find it for less than $500 – you’re in luck.
2. Serene Calm Jade Infrared Heat Pad Best Budget
The newest and most trending infrared heat pad on this list is the Serene Calm heat pad (now on sale for only $69!), with Jade and tourmaline stones delivering far infrared pain-relieving rays and negative ions.
This flexible FIR heat pad is large enough to cover most of your back (306 square inches), you can choose from 7 heat settings, and the reflective cover is comfortable and heat-protected (can be used on bare skin!)
✅ Get the lowest price and fast shipping – on the official site.
3. Ereada Infrared & PEMF Mat Best Professional
The Ereada mats (made in Korea) combine 5 healing therapies in one high-end mat:
- Far-infrared heat (up to 158 F)
- PEMF therapy – pulsating magnetic intensity to recharge your cells
- Photon light therapy – 14 LEDs (660 nm) for skin rejuvenation
- Negative ions
- Crystal therapy (Grade A+ Amethyst)
The popular, heavy-duty Compact-Pro model (32″ X 20″/27 lbs)has 4 pounds more Amethyst than most mats, and 17 layers, containing more than 21 pounds of amethyst.
It runs far infrared heat within 86 F to 158 F (7 intensity levels) with a wavelength of 4 to 16 microns (very deep penetration) and has sensors to control the heat all over the mat.
Equipped with 300 gauss Permanent Magnetic field intensity, the Ereada Compact Pro has a Rapid Very Low-Frequency Pulsation Magnetic Intensity in the range of .100 – .400 Guass.
It also runs at a Magnetic Pulsation Frequency of 8- 60 per session (protects from EMF.
This helps protect you from EMF damage and helps promote blood flow through the natural magnetic waves of the PEMF.
While the Ereada mats are more pricy than average, they are the best high end, professional far infrared & PEMF mats on the market.
4. Dr. Clark’s Deep Heat Infrared Heating Pad
Dr. Clark’s deep heating pad comes with 173 natural Jade stones and a unique neck contour to use on the neck muscles, nerves, and bones.
The special spinal channel keeps pressure off your spine and reduces pain during your home treatment, and the auto shut off makes it safe to fall asleep on.
The extra-long cord (14-foot) helps this one reach almost any outlet in your home and is compatible with both 110V and 250V.
When you purchase on the Healthy Back Institute, you get a 90-day money-back guarantee and a 2-year warranty.
Size: 21” x 37”
Dr. Clark’s Pros
- Easy to use controllers with heat settings
- Auto shut off
- Flexible – can be wrapped around joints as well
- Optional car inverter makes it easy to use in your car
- 90-day money-back guarantee
✅ Check today’s price on the Healthy Back Institute
- Shuts off automatically after 30 minutes
5. Thermotex Far Infrared Heating Pad
The Thermotex pad is another high-quality infrared pad and is less expensive than the smallest UTK FIR heat pad, but more expensive than the medium UTK one.
4 Important Differences Between the UTK and Thermotex:
- The Thermotex pad (the Gold model) cannot be folded. The internal elements are rigid and should never be bent.
This means you can’t use it in your car or wrap it around other aching parts of your body.
It’s almost impossible for the whole surface of the element to completely touch a “curvy” human body.
- The Thermotex Platinum pad, on the other hand, is larger and has 3 sections that allow it to bend around your body. Problem solved (but for extra dollars).
- The Thermotex pad doesn’t feature negative ions. Whether this is important or not is up to you.
- No Jade stones. Thermotex delivers the infrared rays through carbon fibers, which is just as effective, but carbon fibers emit some levels of EMF radiation.
What You Get
1. The Thermotex is made up of multiple 3 x 8-inch pieces sewn together (as in the Platinum, Elbow, and Shoulder models), although there can also be larger size elements as in the Gold, Professional, and Large Shoulder models.
2. Both the electrical cord and the heat selection switch are heavy-duty and sturdy. The manual heat control Switch shows “Off,” “Low,” “High,” and “Off”.
The Best Infrared Heating Pad for Knees?
When you combine the benefit of this design with the amazing infrared heat – you’ve got the best drug-free knee pain relief home treatment.
The Best Infrared Heating Pad for Neck & Shoulders
Through our research, we’ve found the UTK neck and shoulder FIR heating pad to be the best choice in 2020.
When Can You Expect Results?
Most people feel the amazing pain-relieving effect of infrared pad therapy – almost immediately, usually in up to 30 minutes.
Others may need a few days to feel results. It really depends on the severity of your back pain and how often you use it.
Use the infrared therapy healing pad as often as you can in your normal daily schedule, in the car, in the office, or while watching a movie, and before you go to sleep (to avoid back pain at night).
If you have any questions, comments, or just an opinion about pain-relieving pads – I would love to answer!:)
To your health and happiness,
The Back Pain Relief Products Team
Supercharge your infrared treatment by adding the best handheld back massager to your pain relief home treatment.