The 5 Best Zero Gravity Massage Chairs for Back Pain
Zero gravity massage chairs are like the spaceship of massage chairs.
They mimic the weightlessness feeling of a zero gravity environment, which takes the pressure off your pelvic region and back area – while you are getting that relaxing and pain-relieving massage – at home.
The result is better blood circulation, reduced inflammation, pain relief, and total relaxation.
Zero gravity massage chairs are expensive, and the abundance of choices is confusing.
In this post, you’ll find all the benefits of zero gravity massage chairs, how to choose one wisely, and how to use it for back pain relief and make the most of it.
Most of the chairs you’ll find here cost less than $1000 yet still have most of the bells and whistles that the pricier massage chair brands.
We looked for the best one for the money, not the most expensive and hyped one.
In a Hurry?
Here’s a quick table of comparison for our top 3 picks for 2023, and below you’ll find our zero-gravity massage chair reviews!
|Zero Gravity Massage Chair||Bottom Line||Best Features||Price|
|Real Relax Massage Chair||🥇 Best Under $1000||50 airbags|
Full body heating
|✅ $935 at Walmart|
|Rilassa Heated Full Body Massage Chair||Best for Heavy People||Far infrared heat|
Adjutable headrest & calves section
440 lbs capacity
|✅ $889 at Wayfair|
|SMAGHERO Zero Gravity Massage Chair||Full Body Massage||8 Massage Programs|
Back & calf heating
One-button zero gravity
|✅$700 on Amazon|
No ads, reader-supported: This post may contain affiliate links (at no extra cost to you).
- Can a Zero Gravity Massage Chair Help Back Pain?
- How Much Do Zero Gravity Massage Chairs Cost?
- How to Choose a Zero Gravity Massage Chair
- The Best Zero Gravity Massage Chairs (Under $1000)
- Best Zero Gravity Massage Chairs Under $2000
- Can You Sleep on a Zero Gravity Massage Chair?
Can a Zero Gravity Massage Chair Help Back Pain?
The NASA-inspired zero gravity chair puts you in a weightless position – the same position astronauts assume upon blast off.
This reclined position elevates your legs and feet over your heart and takes all the stress off your spine, muscles, and your blood vessels.
While you relax in the zero-gravity position, the chair massages your entire body.
Your entire body is in contact with the chair – so the full force of the massage is highly effective.
When you settle in your chair and begin reclining – the tension in your legs and back immediately lifts and a great sense of calm and relaxation – especially at the end of a hard day.
This position, along with a full body massage, leads to a gentle spine decompression, quick pain relief, better blood circulation (which reduces inflammation), improved lung function, and immediate stress relief.
How Much Do Zero Gravity Massage Chairs Cost?
Zero Gravity Massage chairs’ prices range from $600 to $10,000 and more, depending on the brand reputation, amount and quality of features, and whether they are meant for home use or a spa.
However, our research indicates that the price doesn’t necessarily correlate with quality and customer satisfaction.
We recommend some of the least expensive massage chairs and discovered that most of the time, they are just as effective, comfortable, and easy to use as “high-end” expensive massage chairs.
If your budget is less than $500, we recommend going for the best recliner chairs for back pain.
Over $600 you’ll find a few good zero-gravity massage chairs with all the basic features, and between $800-$2000, you’ll find the best value massage chairs with zero gravity – with most of the bells and whistles.
How to Choose a Zero Gravity Massage Chair
We’re not saying to overlook the features of massage chairs, but understanding your priorities and specific needs will help you save a lot of time and money – on unnecessary features, and more bells and whistles.
The first thing to do is to ask yourself why you are planning to purchase a zero-gravity massage chair:
1. Is it for relaxation and stress relief?
In this case, you don’t need expensive features such as targeted massage or intense massage.
2. Is it for back pain relief?
If you want to relieve and prevent back pain, make sure the massage chair targets the entire back (including the neck – for a holistic treatment of the entire spine), and that it has various massage programs.
3. Is it for more than one person?
If you want more people to enjoy the massage chair, make sure the massage chair is highly adjustable and customizable, to allow people in different sizes and massage intensity preferences to reap the benefits.
4. Type of Massage Rollers – 2D massage rollers are basic and most traditional, and usually less costly. These will be enough if your main goal is relaxation.
For back pain relief or pain relief in other parts of your body – you’ll need industry-standard 3D rollers. These penetrate deeper into the muscle in a more intense way.
4D rollers can turn in ways that other rollers cannot. They allow for more precise and different massage.
5. Massage Track – The type of track built inside the massage chair will determine the areas in your body it can reach. The lowest cost option is a fixed track, which is at this point rare to find on the market.
An S-track follows the curvature of the spine and can focus on different areas of your back and neck.
The L-track combines the S-track and a longer lower part. This allows for glutes and hamstring massage as well, which is important if you suffer from lower back pain.
6. Massage Types – Make sure your favorite massage types are available in your zero-gravity massage chair. The most effective type for pain relief is deep tissue (kneading) massage.
If you work at home and suffer from back pain – consider switching to an ergonomic office chair to help you prevent back issues from sitting too long.
The Best Zero Gravity Massage Chairs (Under $1000)
And now, here are our detailed Zero Gravity massage chairs reviews:
1. Real Relax Zero Gravity Massage Chair Best Under $1000
Did you know you can get a zero-gravity, full-body massage chair – with all the bells and whistles – for less than $1000?
The Real Relax massage chair has 50 airbags, full wrap leg airbag massage, power recline, shiatsu foot massage, hip vibration massage, 3 auto programs – stretch/relax/refresh, heat option, Bluetooth speakers, and the option to only massage separate parts of your body.
It’s the only massage chair that offers heat on most of the massage areas – back, seat, calves, and feet.
We were surprised by the variety of massage options and coverage on this low-cost massage chair.
The best setting for back pain is using the zero-gravity position, with the heat on, airbags on, neck and waist settings on kneading at mixed speed, and the foot massagers on.
The assembly is easy, but the instruction manual is not so good – You’ll find video instructions on YouTube with a simple search.
- Good value for money
- Easy to assemble
- Offers heated massage
- Adjustable footrest
- Limited adjustments to massage modes
- Not as effective as more expensive massage chairs
- May not fit taller or larger people
2. Rilassa Reclining Heated Massage Chair Best for Heavy People
This Rilassa massage chair is another great find under $1000 and offers zero gravity (reduced pressure on the spine), far-infrared heat therapy, seat vibration, 4 massage options or single-area as chosen, and robot hand massage.
It has the highest weight support on this list – up to 440 pounds!
The 8 stationary massage points in the backrest adjust to all body types and offer multiple combinations of shiatsu, kneading, tapping, and knocking massages.
The chair has a unique calf feature that slides forward during operation to leave space for the user.
Your hands and feet are taken care of with foot reflexology and finger-pressure massaging, and the headrest and calf sections are adjustable to fit all heights and body types.
Assembly is a breeze and takes about 30 minutes, the material is of good quality, and customers say that it helps relieve back pain – even after surgery.
- High weight capacity
- Adjustable width
- 4 massage modes
- Only 8 airbags
- Faux leather may not be as durable as natural leather
✅ Available on Wayfair ($929 with free shipping)
3. SMAGREHO Zero Gravity Massage Chair – Full Body Massage
Through our research and hundreds of consumer reviews, the SMAGREHO 2022 massage chair is also one of the best zero gravity massage chairs for under $1000.
It offers a full body massage, adjustable and extendable footrests, plenty of realistic massage options, one-button zero gravity recline, and more.
The heating elements cover the entire back (though not the neck area), which also gets 8 massage rollers and airbags that wrap around the shoulders for a complete massage.
The waist and calf massage are most enjoyable, according to buyers on Amazon.
Assembly is easy and takes only about 15 minutes, and the speakers are high quality – loud, crisp, and clear.
In terms of value for money, this is a definite winner and is very popular on Amazon for these reasons.
However, this chair will not be able to massage the neck area for people over 5’7, and the weight limit is 280 lbs – less than most chairs on this list.
- Full body air pressure, heat, and foot roller features provide a full massage experience
- Affordable price for a zero-gravity massage chair
- Better for tall people – up to 6’1
- Sleep program can actually make you fall asleep
- Good customer service
- The neck massage area is too high for shorter people
- Not the easiest chair to assemble
✅ Available on Amazon ($900)
Best Zero Gravity Massage Chairs Under $2000
Yes, they cost more than $1000, but if you are looking for the best value for money, these are it:
1. Forever Rest Ideal Massage Chair Best Under $2000
This Forever Rest zero-gravity massage chair has no less than 7 massage variations, including some you’ve probably never tried before – the”tapping and rolling”.
You can choose from 10 automatic massage programs, including stretch/relax/swing and recover, and the stretch mode (also known as yoga stretch) is particularly interesting:
In this mode, the massage chair will squeeze your legs and feet, and then pull them down towards the floor, while the backrest pulls your upper body back into the recline position.
Another feature we loved is the added rolling foot massage (with the acupressure massage) – which can’t be found on most chairs.
- Fit for taller people – you can push out on the footrest and the leg massager will extend about 8 inches outwards
- The chair does a body scan before starting an auto program
- Great foot massage – rolling plus acupressure. Can’t beat that.
- Mostly made with soft, comfortable leather.
- You won’t get bored with all the different massage techniques and programs
- Relaxing and warming – the heat function is always a bonus
- SL-Track design, which means that the rollers can massage from your neck all the way down to your glutes
- Gives a great, deep neck massage
- Foot rollers may be too intense for some people
- Not suitable for people who are taller than 6’2
✅ Available on Amazon ($1550)
2. Ideal massage Full Featured Shiatsu Chair Most Versatile
The Ideal Massage ultra-comfortable massage chair has 4 massage types: rolling, kneading, Shiatsu, and vibration It scans your body before the massage starts – to ensure it’s right for you and the way you are positioned.
Then you choose one of 4 auto programs and enjoy a 30-minute uninterrupted massage (with heat!)
A unique feature of the Ideal Massage Chair is the 3 different zero-gravity positions you can choose from.
The rolling massage resembles a professional human massage – it feels like revolving fingers. The kneading will soothe any muscle pain, including the neck area. We love this chair!
- Great value for the price
- Manual mode allows for full control of the speed, intensity, and more
- The footrest extends by 5-6 more inches by simply pressing forward with your feet on the chair
- The heat function is soothing and relaxing and enhances blood circulation.
- The chair itself comes fully assembled, you’ll only need to attach the remote control and shoulder massager
- Relatively quiet
- Airbags located in the arms, shoulders, feet, calves, and seat area
- An experienced seller on Amazon, good customer service, fast delivery
- 30-minute uninterrupted massage
- No powerful stretching or percussion massage. If that’s what you like – go for the Forever Rest FR-5Ks
- No remote control
✅ Available on Amazon ($1800)
Can You Sleep on a Zero Gravity Massage Chair?
Yes, you can sleep on a zero gravity chair, and even enjoy better and more relaxing sleep than in your own bed.
If you stay on your back, you’ll be sleeping in the ultimate sleep position, with your spine, neck, and head properly aligned (just like sleeping on a Hybrid Mattress for back pain).
Also, the zero gravity position reduces pressure on all your muscles, boosts blood circulation, improves breathing (may reduce snoring), and is very relaxing.
Should You Use a Pillow When Sleeping in a Zero Gravity Position?
If you really love your pillow you can use it while in zero gravity position, but doing so will change the angles of your back and neck, and will take your spine out of alignment, just like using a regular pillow in the bed.
For people suffering from back pain, we recommend not to use a pillow on a zero gravity chair, and if you have to – use a flat one to reduce the effect on your spine.
For back alignment in your bed – see our recommendations for the best orthopedic pillows (for side sleepers)
Before You Go…
Massage therapy is highly important for back pain and neck pain recovery and healing.
That is why we recommend and review many types of home massagers, such as electric massage mats, massage guns, massage pillows, and more.
See all our recommendations in our Back Massagers category.
To your health and happiness,
The Back Pain Relief Products Team