The 6 Best Zero Gravity Massage Chairs for Back Pain
Zero gravity massage chair mimics the weightlessness feeling of a zero gravity environment, which takes the pressure off your pelvic region and back area – while you are getting that relaxing and pain-relieving massage – in the comfort of your home.
The result is better blood circulation, reduced inflammation, pain relief, and total relaxation.
No wonder so many people tend to fall asleep on these chairs.
Zero gravity massage chairs are expensive, and the abundance of choices is confusing.
In this post, you’ll find all the benefits of zero gravity massage chairs, how to choose one wisely, and how to use it for back pain relief and make the most of it.
This post contains affiliate links (at no extra cost to you).
Most of the chairs you’ll find here cost less than $1200 yet still have all the bells and whistles that the pricier massage chair brands. We looked for the best one for the money, not the most expensive and hyped one.
- What is a Zero Gravity Massage Chair Good For?
- How Much Do Zero Gravity Massage Chairs Cost?
- How to Choose a Zero Gravity Massage Chair
- The 6 Best Zero Gravity Massage Chairs
- 1. Real Relax Zero Gravity Massage Chair Top Pick
- 2. Rilassa Reclining Heated Massage Chair Best for Bigger People
- 3. SMAGREHO Zero Gravity Massage Chair – Best Under $1000
- 4. Forever Rest Zero Gravity Massage Chair Most Features
- 5. Ideal massage Full Featured Shiatsu Chair Most Versatile
- 6. RELAXONCHAIR MK-II Plus – 3 Levels of Zero Gravity
- Can You Sleep on a Zero Gravity Massage Chair?
What is a Zero Gravity Massage Chair Good For?
The NASA-inspired zero gravity chair puts you in a weightless position – the same position astronauts assume upon blast off. This reclined position elevates your legs and feet over your heart, and takes all the stress off your spine, muscles, and even your blood vessels.
While you relax in the zero-gravity position, the chair massages your entire body. Your entire body is in contact with the chair – so the full force of the massage is highly effective.
When you settle in your chair and begin reclining – the tension in your legs and back immediately lifts and a great sense of calm and relaxation – especially at the end of a hard day.
This position, along with a full body massage, leads to a gentle spine decompression, quick pain relief, better blood circulation (which reduces inflammation), improved lung function, and immediate stress relief.
👉 In a Hurry?
Here’s a quick table of comparison for our top 4 picks for 2023, or you can jump to our zero gravity massage chair reviews!
|Zero Gravity Massage Chair||Bottom Line||Best Features||Price|
|Real Relax Massage Chair||🥇 Best Value||50 airbags|
Full body heating
|✅ $949 on Walmart|
|Rilassa Heated Full Body Massage Chair||Best for Bigger People||Far infrared heat|
Adjutable headrest & calves section
440 lbs capacity
|✅ $964 on Wayfair|
|SMAGHERO Zero Gravity Massage Chair||Best Under $1000||8 Massage Programs|
Back & calf heating
One-button zero gravity
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|RelaxonChair MK-II Plus||With 3 Zero Gravity Positions||Highly adjustable|
Full body stretching
Fits taller people
|✅ $1804 with code YE22-MC at RelaxonChair|
How Much Do Zero Gravity Massage Chairs Cost?
Zero Gravity Massage chairs’ prices range from $500 to $10,000 and more, depending on the brand reputation, amount and quality of features, and whether they are meant for home use or a spa. However, our research indicates that the price doesn’t necessarily correlate with quality and customer satisfaction.
We recommend some of the least expensive massage chairs and discovered that most of the time, they are just as effective, comfortable, and easy to use as “high-end” expensive massage chairs.
If your budget is less than $500, we recommend going for the best recliner chairs for back pain. Over $600 you’ll find a few good zero-gravity massage chairs with all the basic features, and between $900-$2000, you’ll find the best value massage chairs with zero gravity and all the bells and whistles.
How to Choose a Zero Gravity Massage Chair
We’re not saying to overlook the features of massage chairs, but understanding your priorities and specific needs will help you save a lot of time and money – on unnecessary features, and more bells and whistles.
The first thing to do is to ask yourself why you are planning to purchase a zero gravity massage chair:
1. Is it for relaxation and stress relief?
In this case, you don’t need expensive features such as targeted massage or intense massage.
2. Is it for back pain relief?
If you want to relieve and prevent back pain, make sure the massage chair targets the entire back (including the neck – for a holistic treatment of the entire spine), and that it has various massage programs.
3. Is it for more than one person?
If you want more people to enjoy the massage chair, make sure the massage chair is highly adjustable and customizable, to allow people in different sizes and massage intensity preferences to reap the benefits.
4. Type of Massage Rollers – 2D massage rollers are basic and most traditional, and usually less costly. These will be enough if your main goal is relaxation.
For back pain relief or pain relief in other parts of your body – you’ll need industry-standard 3D rollers. These penetrate deeper into the muscle in a more intense way.
4D rollers can turn in ways that other rollers cannot. They allow for more precise and different massage.
5. Massage Track – the type of track built inside the massage chair will determine the areas in your body it can reach. The lowest cost option is a fixed track, which is at this point rare to find on the market.
An S-track follows the curvature of the spine and can focus on different areas of your back and neck.
The L-track combines the S-track and a longer lower part. This allows for glutes and hamstring massage as well, which is important if you suffer from lower back pain.
6. Massage Types – make sure your favorite massage types are available in your zero-gravity massage chair. The most effective type for pain relief is deep tissue (kneading) massage.
👉 If you work at home and suffer from back pain – consider switching to an ergonomic office chair to help you prevent back issues from sitting too long.
The 6 Best Zero Gravity Massage Chairs
And now, here are our detailed Zero Gravity massage chairs reviews:
1. Real Relax Zero Gravity Massage Chair Top Pick
- Material – Faux leather; Cotton Blend
- Massage types – full-body kneading, vibration, stretch
- Size – 43.3” H x 29.5” W x 49.2” D
- Weight capacity – 300 lbs
- Warranty – 1 year
Did you know you can get a zero-gravity, full-body massage chair – with all the bells and whistles – for less than $1200?
The Real Relax massage chair has 50 airbags, full wrap leg airbag massage, power recline, shiatsu foot massage, hip vibration massage, 3 auto programs – stretch/relax/refresh, heat option, Bluetooth speakers, and the option to only massage separate parts of your body.
It’s the only massage chair that offers heat on most of the massage areas – back, seat, calves, and feet.
We were surprised by the variety of massage options and coverage on this low-cost massage chair. The only con we’ve found is that while the footrest is adjustable, the headrest is not.
The best setting for back pain is using the zero-gravity position, with the heat on, airbags on, neck and waist settings on kneading at mixed speed, and the foot massagers on.
The assembly is easy, but the instruction manual is not so good. You’ll find video instructions on Youtube with a simple search.
2. Rilassa Reclining Heated Massage Chair Best for Bigger People
- Size – 41” H x 29” W x 43” D
- Weight capacity: 440 lbs
- Massage Options – shiatsu/kneading/tapping/knocking/stretch, 4 auto programs
- Material – Faux leather, cotton, synthetic fiber
This Rilassa massage chair is another great find under $1000 and offers zero gravity (reduced pressure on the spine), far-infrared heat therapy, seat vibration, 4 massage options or single-area as chosen, and robot hand massage.
It has the highest weight capacity on this list – up to 440 pounds!
The 8 stationary massage points in the backrest adjust to all body types and offer multiple-combination of shiatsu, kneading, tapping, and knocking massages.
Your hands and feet are taken care of with foot reflexology and finger-pressure massaging, and the headrest and calves sections are adjustable to fit all heights and body types.
The only cons we found were the low amount of airbags (only 8), and the poor instructions manual.
This one is a good return on your money. Assembly is a breeze and takes about 30 minutes, the material is of good quality, and customers say that it helps relieve back pain – even after surgery.
✅ Price – $964 with free shipping on Wayfair
3. SMAGREHO Zero Gravity Massage Chair – Best Under $1000
- Size – 46″D x 30″W x 57″H
- Weight Capacity – 280 lbs.
- Massage options – airbag, rollers (Shiatsu), 8 massage programs
- Material – Faux Leather
Through our research and hundreds of consumer reviews, the SMAGREHO 2022 massage chair is the best zero gravity massage chair for under $1000.
Like the Real Relax, it offers a full body massage, adjustable and extendable footrests, plenty of realistic massage options, one-button zero gravity recline, and more.
The heating elements cover the entire back (though not the neck area), which also gets 8 massage rollers and airbags that wrap around the shoulders for a complete massage. The waist and calf massage are most enjoyable, according to buyers on Amazon.
Assembly is easy and takes only about 15 minutes. The speakers are high quality – loud, crisp and clear.
In terms of value for money, this is a definite winner and is very popular on Amazon for these reasons.
Note – this chair will not be able to massage the neck area for people over 5’7, and the weight limit is 280 lbs – a little lower than most chairs on this list.
✅ Price – check the price on Amazon (less than $1000)
4. Forever Rest Zero Gravity Massage Chair Most Features
- Size – 200 lbs.
- Weight capacity – 350 lbs.
- Massage options – all the usual plus “tapping and rolling”, and the “stretch mode”
- Material – most of the chair is leather. The curved cradle on the back of the chair is hard plastic, but the front and sides are leather.
- Warranty: 5-year warranty on the steel, 3-year on the electronic parts
This new Forever Rest zero-gravity massage chair has no less than 7 massage variations, including some you’ve probably never tried before – the”tapping and rolling”.
You can choose from 4 automatic massage programs – stretch/relax/swing and recover, and the stretch mode (also known as yoga stretch) is particularly interesting:
In this mode, the massage chair will squeeze your legs and feet, and then pull them down towards the floor, while the backrest pulls your upper body back into the recline position.
Another feature we loved is the added rolling foot massage (with the acupressure massage) – which can’t be found on most chairs.
- Fit for taller people – you can push out on the footrest and the leg massager will extend about 8 inches outwards.
- Great foot massage – rolling plus acupressure. Can’t beat that.
- Mostly made with soft, comfortable leather.
- You won’t get bored with all the different massage techniques and programs
- Relaxing and warming – the heat function is always a bonus
- Gives a great, deep neck massage
- one of the lowest-cost zero gravity massage chairs on the market!
- Delivery is curbside – you’ll need help getting it inside the house.
✅ Price – check the price on Amazon
Bottom Line – This is definitely one of the best zero gravity massage chairs for the money. It has almost all the features of the high-priced Osaki massage chairs – for less than half the price. This chair will ease your pain, help you relax, and rejuvenate your body after a hard day.
5. Ideal massage Full Featured Shiatsu Chair Most Versatile
- Size – 33 x 55 x 49 inches
- Weight capacity – 300 pounds
- Massage types – rolling, kneading, Shiatsu, and vibration.
- Material – faux leather
- Colors: white/black
- Warranty: 3 years for the steel frame and body, and 3 years for all electronic parts
The Ideal Massage ultra-comfortable massage chair has 4 massage types: rolling, kneading, Shiatsu, and vibration It scans your body before the massage starts – to ensure it’s right for you and the way you are positioned.
Then you choose one of 4 auto programs and enjoy a 30-minute uninterrupted massage (with heat!)
👉 A unique feature of the Ideal Massage Chair is the 3 different zero-gravity positions you can choose from. The rolling massage resembles a professional human massage – it feels like revolving fingers. The kneading will soothe any muscle pain, including the neck area. We love this chair!
- Great value for the price
- Manual mode allows for full control of the speed, intensity, and more
- Footrest extends by 5-6 more inches by simply pressing forward with your feet on the chair
- The heat function is soothing and relaxing and enhances blood circulation.
- The chair itself comes fully assembled, you’ll only need to attach the remote control and shoulder massager
- Relatively quiet
- Airbags located in the arms, shoulders, foot calves, and seat area
- An experienced seller on Amazon, good customer service, fast delivery
- 30-minute uninterrupted massage
- No powerful stretching or percussion massage. If that’s what you like – go for the Forever Rest FR-5Ks
Bottom Line – The Ideal Massage zero gravity massage chair gives you all the features you could possibly want in a massage chair. Inflation of the airbags is great, the roller has a long length and covers your entire back, and the heat feature is very good.
6. RELAXONCHAIR MK-II Plus – 3 Levels of Zero Gravity
- Massage types – Kneading, Tapping, kneading + Tapping, Shiatsu, & Rolling
- Auto programs – Deep Tissue, Relax, Rejuvenate, and Stretch
- Size – upright dimensions: 30.5” x 55” x 47.3”. Reclined dimensions: 30.5” x 83.5” x 32.3”
- Warranty: 5 years
- Weight limit: 280 pounds
- Material: synthetic leather
The Relaxonchair MK-II Plus has 3 levels of zero-gravity, 4 auto programs, carbon fiber heating elements, and is highly adjustable (shoulder height, massage intensity, speed, and more).
This space-saving massage chair allows for full-body stretching and has an extendable leg (over 8 inches).
It has an L-track roller system – rollers move up and down between your neck/lower head area to all the way down to your buttocks with kneading, tapping, shiatsu, rolling and a combination of kneading and tapping massage functions – with 3 different width settings.
Relaxonchair Pros (according to consumers)
- Highly adjustable – features a computerized body scan for the best massage for the user, or you can choose the speed and massage intensity on your own
- You can switch to a manual mode to focus on a specific problem area
- Fits taller people (extendable leg)
- Comes fully assembled
- Saves space – 3-inch wall hugger design
- Optional White Glove Delivery Service available
- FDA registered
- Reliable customer service
- No rollers in feet, only airbags (great for pressure points though)
Bottom Line – The number of functions and combinations in the Relaxonchair MK-II is remarkable considering the price. It’s highly adjustable, and comfortable and the massage is excellent. The company is good and customer service is highly rated. This one will make you very happy.
Can You Sleep on a Zero Gravity Massage Chair?
Yes, you can sleep on a zero gravity chair, and even enjoy a better and more relaxing sleep than in your own bed. If you stay on your back, you’ll be sleeping in the ultimate sleep position, with your spine, neck, and head properly aligned (just like sleeping on a Hybrid Mattress for back pain). Also, the zero gravity position reduces pressure on all your muscles, boosts blood circulation, improves breathing (may reduce snoring), and is very relaxing.
Should You Use a Pillow When Sleeping in a Zero Gravity Position?
If you really love your pillow you can use it while in zero gravity position, but doing so will change the angles of your back and neck, and will take your spine out of alignment, just like using a regular pillow in the bed. For people suffering from back pain we recommend not to use a pillow on a zero gravity chair, and if you have to – use a flat one to reduce the effect on your spine.
For back alignment in your bed – see our recommendations for the best orthopedic pillows (for side sleepers)
Before You Go…
Massage therapy is highly important for back pain and neck pain recovery and healing. That is why we recommend and review many types of home massagers, such as electric massage mats, massage guns, massage pillows, and more. See all our recommendations in our Back Massagers category.
To your health and happiness,
The Back Pain Relief Products Team