The 7 Best HYBRID Mattresses for Back Pain Relief
Should you compromise on comfort when you are looking for the best mattress for back pain?
Through our research, the answer is NO.
Hybrid mattresses for back pain combine the pressure-relieving benefits of memory foam, with the bounce, support, comfort and responsiveness of pocketed coils .
The best balance of comfort and spine support for back pain prevention and relief.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Here’s an overview:
|Amerisleep AS3||Best Budget||Jump to Review|
|Idle Hybrid||Best Value||Jump to Review|
|PlushBeds Luxury Bliss (Latex)||Best Organic||Jump to Review|
|Helix Midnight Lux||Best Overall||Jump to Review|
|Purple Hybrid||Best for combo sleepers||Jump to Review|
|Bear Hybrid||Best for Muscle Recovery||Jump to Review|
|Nolah Signature 12||Best for Side Sleepers||Jump to Review|
- 1 Are You Sleeping on the Wrong Mattress? (Common Symptoms)
- 2 What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- 3 How to Choose the Best Hybrid Mattress for Back Pain
- 4 The 7 Best HYBRID Mattresses for Back Pain 
- 4.1 1. Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid Mattress (12″) Best Budget
- 4.2 2. Idle Hybrid Mattress (14″) Best Value
- 4.3 3. Nolah Signature 12 Hybrid Mattress Best for Side Sleepers
- 4.4 4. PlushBeds Luxury Bliss Latex Mattress (12″) Best Organic
- 4.5 5. Helix Midnight Lux Hybrid Mattress Best Overall
- 4.6 6. Purple Hybrid (12″-14″) Best for Combo Sleepers
- 4.7 7. Bear Hybrid (14″) Best for Muscle Recovery
- 5 Hybrid Mattresses for Back Pain FAQ
Are You Sleeping on the Wrong Mattress? (Common Symptoms)
Back pain is a serious obstacle when it comes to healthy sleep.
When you don’t sleep well because of back, shoulder, or neck pain – your pain intensifies – leading to more lack of sleep.
This is a vicious circle with no end in sight.
The right mattress makes sure you are sleeping in the right sleep posture – when the spine is aligned and with the minimal amount of strain being placed on the muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
A bad mattress puts a strain on your spinal discs, spinal nerves, muscles, tendons, and ligaments – pulling your body out of alignment, and may result in the following conditions:
- Excessive fatigue and difficulty falling asleep
- Back/neck/shoulder pain and stiffness
- Neck stiffness that leads to headaches or migraines
- Anxiety/depression caused by lack of sleep
- Joint pain
That’s why investing in a high-quality mattress is more important than you may think, and critical for your health and wellbeing.
What is a Hybrid Mattress?
A hybrid mattress is made of a few layers, including:
1. The base foam layer (firm layer) – has to be highly dense and of high quality.
2. A pocketed coils layer – allow for the bounce and responsiveness and prevent motion transfer, which means that you can move freely and your spouse will not feel it.
3. A support layer – to support pressure points – critical for back support and pressure point relief – located between the base layer and the comfort layer.
4. A comfort layer
If the memory foam layer is not thick enough (at least 3 inches) – there will be no support for the shoulders and thighs, and this will take your spine out of alignment – causing back pain.
Memory foam allows your body to sink into it, and bounces back when you leave it. It allows for more comfort, even though it’s basically dense and supportive.
Latex vs. Memory Foam
Latex is a type of natural rubber, combined with synthetic material. There is no such thing as a 100% natural latex. A high-quality latex layer will have at least 80% rubber.
Latex mattresses feel firmer and are a better choice for people who prefer a firmer mattress, that doesn’t allow your shoulders and thighs to sink into it.
How to Choose the Best Hybrid Mattress for Back Pain
Many people believe that the best way to buy a new mattress is to go to a store and lie on a few mattresses and see how it feels.
Lying for 2-3 minutes on a mattress is not enough (or has any real value) to determine if it’s a high quality and back-supporting mattress.
In fact, you’ll have to try it for at least 14 nights before you understand if it’s the right choice for you, that’s why all companies offer a (varying) trial period.
(That’s why buying online is just as safe as buying in a store!)
And most importantly:
You have to know all about the mattress’ materials, different layers, thickness, density, presence of toxic chemicals, and more.
We’ll give you all the details in each review you’ll find below.
The 7 Best HYBRID Mattresses for Back Pain 
1. Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid Mattress (12″) Best Budget
Best for – back sleepers, side sleepers, and combo-sleepers
- 100-night trial (free shipping and returns)
- 20-year warranty
The Amerisleep USA-based company offers 3 models of hybrid (and eco-friendly) mattresses, and the AS3 hybrid model appears to be the most comfortable and back supporting one, perfect for people who prefer the not-too-firm and not-too-soft mattresses.It combines the pressure-relieving benefits of memory foam (open-celled Bio-Pur foam that retains coolness), with the responsiveness and bounce of pocketed coils.
The cover is made with an ultra-breathable blend of polyester, spandex, and celliant, helping you sleep cool, and allows for a quick snap back into place.
(👉 Celliant has been clinically shown to increase local circulation and cell oxygenation which helps you perform stronger, recover faster and sleep better!)
The 8-inch innerspring support layer makes this mattress bouncy, yet locally cushioned to prevent disturbing your spouse when you move.
The coils feature a zoned support system that makes the center of the mattress firmer than the edges, feels more supportive under the lower back when you are back sleeping, and softer under the shoulder and hips when you are side sleeping.
- The perfect balance of spine support and comfort – not too soft or too firm
- Good for hot sleepers – support layer and cover are breathable and do not trap heat
- Eco-friendly materials
- Comes with 2 free cooling pillows
- Works well with solid or slatted bed frames, works with adjustable bed frames as well
- Those who sleep on their stomach need a firmer mattress than this one
- Doesn’t fit people who prefer firm or soft mattresses. For a softer model go for the Amerisleep AS5, and for firmer models go for the AS2 model.
✅ Price – Amerisleep Hybrid mattresses prices start from only $874, and the A3 model is one of the best hybrid mattresses for back pain you’ll find – under $1000!
2. Idle Hybrid Mattress (14″) Best Value
Best for – stomach sleepers and back sleepers (a bit firmer than average)
- Exceptionally long 18-months trial (free shipping and returns)
- Lifetime warranty
The Idle Hybrid is a flippable mattress (2-sided), which means that the life of the mattress is doubled, and you can even choose a model that’s medium firm on one side, and luxury firm on the other side .
This gives you two firmness options in one mattress, though the top layers are soft and comfortable.
The 6 supporting and comfortable layers help relieve pressure off your joints and spine.
The materials and construction produce an even weight distribution, and even heavier users will get the support they need (even if they sink more deeply).
👉 With an unusual 18-months risk-free trial and lifetime warranty , the Idle Hybrid is one of the safest purchases you can make when it comes to mattresses for back pain sufferers.
Idle Hybrid Pros
- Good fit for people who like a firm yet comfortable mattress, good support for heavier people
- Long-lasting mattress – flippable and prevents early sagging and indentations
- Durable and spine aligning for back sleepers and side sleepers
- Cover stays cool
- One model comes with 2 firmness options
- Exceptionally long 18 months risk-free trial
- Compatible with any bed
- The medium-firm option doesn’t stay quite as cool as the firm option
- Adequate (but not optimal) edge support
- Not the best fit for side sleepers, who need a softer mattress that allows sinking and spine aligning
✅ Price – Check today’s sale price on the official site
👉 Trying to train yourself to sleep on your back? Here are the best pillows to keep you on your back!
3. Nolah Signature 12 Hybrid Mattress Best for Side Sleepers
The Nolah Signature is Nolah’s flagship product, combining 12” of plush, thick layering with deep support and extra cooling features .
It’s flippable and includes AirFoam™ technology and organic materials throughout the constructiosn.
The Nolah Signature 12 is a double-sided hybrid mattress with two firmness levels you can choose from (a soft side and a firmer side) and is made from the new and unique AirFoam.
AirFoam (pneumatic air-filled foam) is especially good for side sleepers because it provides 4 times more pressure relief for the back, shoulders, and hips.
AirFoam is 100% temperature neutral and is more cooling than the average hybrid mattresses (see the heat mapping tests here).
Nolah Signature 12 Pros
- Supportive, conforming, and soft
- Two firmness levels in one mattress
- Organic cotton cover
- 100% made in the USA
- 120-night trial, free shipping and returns, lifetime warranty
- Highly resilient and durable double-sided mattress
- Fits side sleepers most, but good for all sleep positions
- Stays cooler than competitors thanks to AirFoam
- May not fit heavier stomach and back sleepers
- The firmer side is more firm than the industry standard
- Less bouncy than pocketed coils mattresses
✅ Price – It’s one of the best mattresses you can find under $1500 – see today’s sale price!
4. PlushBeds Luxury Bliss Latex Mattress (12″) Best Organic
Best for – stomach sleepers, combo sleepers
- 100-night trial (free shipping and returns)
- 25-year warranty
The PlushBeds Bliss Latex mattress is the healthiest hybrid mattress on this list , made with 3 inches of organic Dunlop latex and wrapped with an organic cotton cover (with natural wool fire barrier).
The company claims that Less than 1% of Mattresses Can Match their Purity Certifications.
The mattress is offered in two firmness levels: medium (best for side sleepers weighing less than 130 lbs.) and medium-firm (best for stomach sleepers and hot sleepers).
The latex support layer is less responsive and less conforming than memory foam, and the feeling it offers is more like sleeping on the mattress than sleeping in the mattress (though the medium model allows users to sink in a little deeper).
If you love the eco-friendly and toxin-free materials, you can add one of PlushBeds mattress toppers, for more plushness and comfort.
- Perfect for chemical-sensitive people (free of toxic materials and chemicals) and environmentally conscious buyers
- Organic materials with multiple industry environmental certifications ( certified organic latex, cotton, and wool !)
- No off-gassing – no need to air out the mattress for a few days
- Great fit for people who prefer firm back support
- Latex is durable and long-lasting
- Sturdy edges – safe to sit or sleep near the edges
- 100-day trial (free shipping and returns) and 25-year warranty
- Works with all adjustable bases
- Not for people who prefer the “huggy” feeling of memory foam
- Less than average motion isolation
- Expensive (due to organic latex production)
✅ Price – check today’s sale price on the official site (they often cut prices significantly!)
5. Helix Midnight Lux Hybrid Mattress Best Overall
Best for – all sleep positions, people who toss and turn
- 100-night trial
- 15-year warranty
The Helix Sleep company offers 6 hybrid mattresses in different firmness levels and varying amounts of plushness.
The Helix Midnight Plus falls in the middle of this range and is just a bit firmer than average – making it a great fit for back sleepers, side sleepers, and stomach sleepers with back pain (especially those who change sleep positions throughout the night!)
Side sleepers will also get adequate pressure relief at the shoulder and hip area.
This model has a great balance of comfort and back support – you’ll enjoy a ton of pressure relief without sacrificing spine alignment.
Helix Midnight Lux Pros
- Breathable and cooling top layer and coils – prevents locking of heat
- Great fit for people with back pain who toss and turn
- Excellent motion isolation thanks to slow-moving memory foam near the top – great for couples who toss and turn and don’t want to disturb each other
- 100-night sleep trial (free shipping) and 15-year warranty
- Only decent edge support
- Some initial off-gassing – requires airing out for a day or two
✅ Price – check today’s sale price on the official site
6. Purple Hybrid (12″-14″) Best for Combo Sleepers
Best for – Combo sleepers who toss and turn, back and stomach sleepers
- 100-night trial
- 10-year warranty
The Purple brand is famous for its propriety comfort layer, which uses a hyper-elastic gel material constructed into a grid pattern.
What does this mean?
The walls of the grid only buckle under the sleeper’s weight, which helps prevent motion from spreading, and springs right back when pressure is removed.
(However: stomach sleepers over 230 lbs. may sink in too deeply for optimal spine alignment).
You can choose from 2 grid thickness options – 2 inches or 4 inches (The Purple Hybrid Premier).
The 7.5-inch pocketed coils layer provides the bounce and edge support.
The Purple Hybrid a great option for those looking for bounce and pressure relief!
Purple Hybrid Pros
- Strong motion isolation – great for couples
- Nontoxic fire-retardant material – not chemically treated
- Good pressure point support – side sleepers sink in just enough to support the hips and shoulders, while the spine stays supported
- Easy to move on and feels like floating rather than sinking inside
- Breathable cover, good airflow, stays exceptionally cool
- 2 firmness/thickness options
- Made in the USA
- 100-night trial (free shipping an returns) and a 10-year warranty
- May not fit sleepers who like the huggy feeling of traditional memory foam
- May emit some off-gassing at first but airs out quickly
✅ Price – check today’s price on the official site
7. Bear Hybrid (14″) Best for Muscle Recovery
Best for – side sleepers and back sleepers
- 100-night trial (free shipping and returns)
- 20-year warranty
The Bear Hybrid is one of the best when it comes to balancing comfort and support, and is a great pick for side sleepers and back sleepers with back pain.
The top layers are very soft and comfortable, and the coils are supportive enough for a wide range of body weight.
The celliant cover is excellent at dissipating heat and the cover is also quilted with a very soft gel foam that adds to comfort and support.
The foams in the Bear Hybrid are all CertiPUR-US certified, meaning they are more eco-friendly than traditional foam.
Bear Hybrid Pros
- Great balance of comfort and support – best for side and back sleepers
- Good edge support (the edges won’t crumble)
- Uses cooling hand-quilted Celliant technology (clinically tested infrared textile)
- All foams are certified eco-friendly
- 100-night trial with free shipping and returns, 20-year warranty
Not the best fit for stomach sleepers due to the soft cover layer
✅ Price – Check today’s sale Price (and free gift set) – on the official site
Hybrid Mattresses for Back Pain FAQ
To your health and happiness,
The Back Pain Relief Products Team
Ahmed Radwan, Philip Fess, et al. Effect of different mattress designs on promoting sleep quality, pain reduction, and spinal alignment in adults with or without back pain; systematic review of controlled trials, Sleep Health, Volume 1, Issue 4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleh.2015.08.001.
Mattresses for Chronic Back or Neck Pain: A Review of the Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines [Internet]. Ottawa (ON): Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health; 2014 May 14. SUMMARY OF EVIDENCE. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK263383/
Kovacs FM, Abraira V, et al. Effect of firmness of mattress on chronic non-specific low-back pain: randomised, double-blind, controlled, multicentre trial. Lancet. 2003 Nov 15;362(9396):1599-604. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(03)14792-7.