The 7 Best Vibrating Foam Rollers (For Back Pain & Workout Recovery)
The vibrating foam roller takes the traditional foam roller and the trigger point foam roller – to a whole new level.
Because high-frequency vibration massage softens the muscles quicker , relaxes them, hinders pain signals, and allows for deeper trigger point kneading and releasing.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see my affiliate policy.
The more intense the massage, the more oxygen, nutrients, and pain-relieving components arrive through your bloodstream – to the painful, injured muscles in your back (or anywhere else in your body).
👉 In a hurry? here’s our short comparison table, below it you’ll find our full vibrating foam roller reviews and pros and cons of each device!
|🥇Vibe Hex Pro||Best contoured||4-speed|
|$99 at Vibe|
|Emerge||Most dense & firm||3-speed|
|Check price on Amazon|
|🥇LifePro Surger||Best for athletes|
|$99 down to only $89 at checkout
Use coupon code MEITALJAMES
|LifePro Massage Roller Ball||Best vibrating ball|
(for small muscle groups)
|$49 - at LifePro|
|HypriceVyper 2.0||Best for muscle injuries||3-speed|
|$199 at Dick's|
|NextRoller||Most powerful vibration||3-speed|
With 67 Hz setting
|Check price on Amazon|
|Vulken||Best extra long||4-speed|
|Check price on Amazon|
Jump to our vibrating foam roller reviews!
- 1 What is a Vibrating Foam Roller?
- 2 The 7 Best Vibrating Foam Rollers for Back Pain & Recovery
- 2.1 1. Vibe Hex Pro – Best Contoured
- 2.2 2. LifePro Surger Vibrating Foam Roller Best Value
- 2.3 3. LifePro 4-Speed Massage Ball – for Small Muscle Groups
- 2.4 4. Emerge vibrating foam roller – Dense and Firm
- 2.5 5. Hyprice Vyper 2.0 – Best for Pain-Sensitive People
- 2.6 6. NextRollerFoam – Most Powerful Vibration
- 2.7 7. Vulken Vibrating Foam Roller – Best Extra Long
- 3 How To Use a Vibrating Foam Roller for Back Pain
- 4 What the Benefits of a Vibrating Foam Roller?
What is a Vibrating Foam Roller?
A vibrating foam roller is the next generation trigger point foam roller , with the addition of a motor and intensity settings panel controller. The motor adds vibration technology, which allows for deep penetrating massage, myofascial release, and compression.
You can find different vibrating back rollers at different frequencies (the ideal one appears to be about 33 Hz) and different massage intensities.
(And you can also consider a massage gun for the most powerful trigger point massage)
The 7 Best Vibrating Foam Rollers for Back Pain & Recovery
And now, here are our 15-hour research results:
1. Vibe Hex Pro – Best Contoured
The Vibe Rollers Hex Pro is especially suited for guided myofascial release with its comfortable (peanut-looking) design and 4 vibration modes to choose from.
Its unique shape contours perfectly with the curves and angles of the body – without applying too much pressure on the spine itself (much like a back roller wheel!).
The motor, circuitry, and battery are all covered by a lifetime warranty.
The compact size (a little more than a coffee mug) allows you to easily transport this pain relief tool anywhere you go.
Weight: 2.4 poundsVive Hex Pro Pros
- Optional pulsating mode for muscle relaxing (no need to roll)
- Great for gentle neck pain relief (on a low setting)
- Protects the spine from compression
- Variety of intensity settings
- Peanut shape allows for deeper vibration and kneading
- Used by well-known athletes
✅ Price – best price on the official site
- Doesn’t come with a carrying case
2. LifePro Surger Vibrating Foam Roller Best Value
The LifePro Surger foam roller with vibration was designed for athlete’s recovery after rough workouts and offers deep tissue and compression massage, for exercise recovery including running, CrossFit, cardio, martial arts, etc.
It has 4 intensity settings, and the charged battery lasts for up to 2 hours. It’s the only model that offers a lifetime money-back guarantee!
The relatively low nodules feel firm and are best for muscle knots release and trigger point massage – to loosen up those aching muscles.
Size: 11.5 inches long, 5.5-inch diameter
Max intensity: 40 HzLifePro Surger Pros
- Lifetime money-back guarantee!
- Variety of speed intensities
- Easy to use single-button toggle controls
- Reliable customer service
✅ LifePro Vibrating Massage Roller Price – Save $10 with our coupon code MEITALJAMES – at checkout!
- Length is shorter than average
- Comes with a drawstring for easy transport
3. LifePro 4-Speed Massage Ball – for Small Muscle Groups
The LifePro unique massage ball is specifically designed to release (and get peak performance) for smaller muscle groups and is an amazing pain relieving tool for tight/sore muscles, hand/foot pain, sciatica, neuropathy, and fibromyalgia.
It is 100% portable, rechargeable, lightweight (0.66 lbs), and compact (3.75 inches in diameter), and is easy to take with you anywhere, including traveling overseas.
When you buy it on the official site, you get instant access to some excellent workout videos and instructions, to help you achieve your goals confusion-free and quickly.
✅ LifePro Massage Ball Price – save $10 with our coupon code MEITALJAMES (applied automatically) and a lifetime warranty – on the official site!
4. Emerge vibrating foam roller – Dense and Firm
The Emerge VIBR foam roller offers 3 speeds to choose from (low/medium/high) and a dual-zone surface with smooth and ridged patterns.
A single charge lasts about 3 hours depending on the setting, and it is compact enough to take with you for your workout outside or to relieve back pain in the office and at work.
Size: 13 inches long and 6 inches in diameter.
Max. Intensity: 60HzEmerge Pros
- The low setting is gentle enough for Sciatica treatment, higher settings powerful enough for muscle knots and muscle stiffness.
- You can take it easy with the smooth surface or use the ridged one for trigger point release and deep tissue massage.
- Easy to transport and travel with – comes with a universal charging cable
- 30-day money-back guarantee
✅Emerge Foam Roller Price – Check today’s price on Amazon
- Some users feel it’s too stiff and firm for them, but this is a subjective matter
5. Hyprice Vyper 2.0 – Best for Pain-Sensitive People
The Hyprice new 2.0 vibrating roller has a more modest ridged system but the vibration is quite powerful .
It has 3 intensity settings, and most users claim the medium setting is their sweet spot for relieving muscle pain in the lower and upper back, knee muscles, IT band, quads, and hamstrings.
This one is more suited for people with sciatica, arthritis, and back injuries that may feel too much pain using a highly ridged surface.
Size: 11.6 x 5.3
Weight: 3 poundsHyprice Vibrating Roller Pros
- Charges in as little as 20-30 minutes
- Smoother surface allows for less painful vibration massage
- Vibration is powerful enough to deliver a strong surface massage
✅Hyperice Vibrating Foam Roller Price – Best price found on Dick’s
- Not optimal for a trigger point release
- Users say it’s a bit noisy
6. NextRollerFoam – Most Powerful Vibration
The NextRoller dense and firm vibrating roller has a long-lasting battery that can be used for more than 2 hours after a single charge.The highest vibration setting gets up to 67 Hz!
It was designed for professional athletes to be used before and after any sport and is made with dynamic texture, 3 vibration settings, and an ergonomic carry handle
Size: 6″ in diameter and 13″ in length
Weight: 3 pounds
Max. intensity: 67 HzNextRoller Pros
- Versatile vibration settings – 20/40/67 Hz
- Vibration makes the sore spots release less painful
- Long-lasting battery (more than claimed by the company)
- Attentive and helpful customer service
✅NextRoller Price – Best price is on Amazon
- Some users say it’s a bit noisy
7. Vulken Vibrating Foam Roller – Best Extra Long
If you are looking for a longer foam roller surface , you’ll like the Vulkan 17-inch foam roller with vibration, which gives you more space to roll out your shoulders, legs, upper and lower back.
The 4 vibration settings include a pulsating mode you can use for blood circulation-boosting or muscle warming – without rolling at all.
The battery lasts for a couple of hours after charging, sometimes more, depending on the setting.Vulken Pros
- Gentler than other rollers
- Extra space to roll on
- Pulsating mode to gently warm up muscles before working out or physical work
- Made with eco-friendly shell
- Long-lasting battery (more than 2 hours)
- Most quiet electric roller
✅Vulken Price – Check today’s price on Amazon
- Less compact, harder to transport (best for home use)
- The foam exterior is very firm
How To Use a Vibrating Foam Roller for Back Pain
1. Start gradually and slow – don’t be tempted to start with the highest intensity, especially if you suffer from medium-high pain levels. Start with the lowest setting for the first 2-3 sessions, until you get adjusted to the device.
2. Roll slowly for about 3 seconds for each movement. This is a slow process. Take 2-3 minutes for each muscle area.
3. Follow the long axis of the muscle, and use downward pressure, focus on large muscle areas such as the upper back, lower back, hamstrings, etc.
4. For trigger points release, do small and repetitive movements – slowly.
5. For maximum results, consistency is key. Try to foam roll every day for a few minutes to get the most out of this simple treatment.
Here’s a short video demonstration for the upper body:
What the Benefits of a Vibrating Foam Roller?
While vibrating back rollers have not been clinically proven, the benefits of vibration massage and trigger point therapy for back muscle pain is well established.
Research has found that vibration can hinder pain signals coming from the muscles, ease muscle soreness, and increase flexibility and range of motion .
1. Myofascial Release and injury prevention – vibration foam rolling softens the fascia around the muscle fibers, which can become stiff after working out or any physical labor, and prevent the muscle from moving freely.
2. Deeper and firmer trigger point massage boosts blood circulation, which brings oxygen and nutrients to the painful and injured area.
3. Scar tissue breaking
4. Increased flexibility and range of motion when used frequently
a vibrating roller is a great tool for after workout soreness, muscle knots, and tension release, preventing DOMS, increasing blood flow and circulation, and healing injuries faster.
For the gym-goers, it’s a great tool for warming up muscles, keeping muscles loose and flexible, and optimal performance.
Who Should Not Use a Vibrating Foam Roller?
Since this is an electrical vibrating device, some people should consult with their doctor before using it:
pregnant women, diabetics, people with herniated discs, spondylitis, recent joint replacements, metal pins, pacemakers, and people who are recovering from surgeries.
To your health and happiness,
The Back Pain Relief Products Team
Imtiyaz S, Veqar Z, Shareef MY. To Compare the Effect of Vibration Therapy and Massage in Prevention of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8(1):133‐136. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2014/7294.3971