The 8 Best Vibrating Foam Rollers
The vibrating foam roller “threatens” to take the traditional foam roller and the trigger point foam roller – to a whole new level.
Because high-frequency vibration massage softens the muscles quicker, relaxes them, hinders pain signals, and allows for deeper trigger point kneading and releasing.
As some professional athletes say, it’s like a jackhammer breaking up the asphalt.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Are Vibrating Foam Rollers Better than Regular Foam Rollers?
- How to Choose a Vibrating Foam Roller (for Back Pain)
- The 8 Best Vibrating Foam Rollers (for Back Pain & Workout Recovery)
- 1. Vibe Hex Pro – Best Spine Protection
- 2. LifePro Surger – Best Value
- 3. LifePro Massage Ball – Best for Small Muscle Areas
- 4. Emerge Vibrating Foam Roller – Most Dense and Firm
- 5. Hyprice Vyper 2.0 – Best for Pain-Sensitive People
- 6. NextRollerFoam – Most Powerful Vibration
- 7. Vulken Vibrating Foam Roller – Best Extra Long
- 8. TB12 Vibrating Foam Roller – by Tom Brady
- How To Use a Vibrating Foam Roller for Back Pain
- Vibrating Foam Roller vs. Massage Gun
Are Vibrating Foam Rollers Better than Regular Foam Rollers?
Experts agree that vibrating foam rollers intensify the massage you get on your muscles. The more intense the massage, the more oxygen, nutrients, and pain-relieving components arrive through your bloodstream – to your painful or injured muscles.
Studies have shown that the added vibration feature makes foam rolling more than twice as effective as a regular foam roller. Vibrating foam rollers can increase range of motion, blood flow, and flexibility by up to 40%, compared to 18% with traditional foam rollers.
a vibrating roller is a great tool for post-workout soreness, muscle knots, and tension release, preventing DOMS, increasing blood flow and circulation, and healing injuries faster.
(👉 And you can also consider a massage gun for the most powerful trigger point massage)
👉 In a hurry? here’s our short comparison table, below it you’ll find our full vibrating foam roller reviews and pros and cons of each device!
|Vibrating Foam Roller||Bottom Line||Features||Price|
|Vibe Hex Pro||Best Contoured|
(For near-spine muscles)
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|Emerge||Most Dense & Firm|
(High weight support)
|✅ Check price on Amazon|
|LifePro Surger||🥇 Best Value|
Best for athletes
|✅ $99 at Life Pro |
|LifePro Massage Roller Ball||Best Vibrating Ball|
(for small muscle groups)
|✅ $49 at LifePro|
|HypriceVyper 2.0||Best for Muscle Injuries|
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|NextRoller||Most Powerful Vibration||3-speed|
With 67 Hz setting
|✅ Check price on Amazon|
|Vulken||Best Extra Long||4-speed|
|✅ Check price on Amazon|
|TB12 Vibrating Foam Roller||By Tom Brady||4-speed |
rigid foam construction
|✅ $160 at TB12|
How to Choose a Vibrating Foam Roller (for Back Pain)
How do you choose a vibrating foam roller when you want to relieve back pain?
1. Length – for large areas (such as both sides of the spine from bottom to top) – consider choosing a longer vibrating roller. For smaller areas, such as between the shoulder pain – you can go for a peanut roller.
2. Hardness – While most physical therapists recommend medium-density foam rollers (survey is here), vibrating foam rollers need to be hard so the vibration won’t dissipate and be less effective when you like on it.
3. Pattern – some uneven patterns could help with basic myofascial release and trigger point release. The delivery of vibration and intensity is more important.
The 8 Best Vibrating Foam Rollers (for Back Pain & Workout Recovery)
And now, here are our research results, after analyzing hundreds of consumer reviews:
1. Vibe Hex Pro – Best Spine Protection
- Size – 4 x 9.6 inches
- Weight – 2.4 pounds
- Max Intensity – 50 Hz (at level 4)
The Vibe Rollers Hex Pro is especially suited for guided myofascial release with its comfortable (peanut-looking) design and 4 vibration modes to choose from.
Its unique shape contours with the curves and angles of the body – without applying too much pressure on the spine itself (much like a back roller wheel!).
The motor, circuitry, and battery are all covered by a lifetime warranty.
The compact size (a little more than a coffee mug) allows you to easily transport this pain relief tool anywhere you go.
Vive Hex Pro Pros
- Optional pulsating mode for muscle relaxing (no need to roll)
- Great for gentle neck pain relief (on a low setting)
- Protects the spine from compression
- Variety of intensity settings
- Peanut shape allows for deeper vibration and kneading
- Used by well-known athletes
- Doesn’t come with a carrying case
✅ Price – best price on Amazon
2. LifePro Surger – Best Value
- Size – 11.5 inches long, 5.5-inch diameter
- Weight – 3.9 lbs.
- Max intensity- 40 Hz
The LifePro Surger foam roller with vibration was designed for athlete’s recovery after rough workouts and offers deep tissue and compression massage, for exercise recovery including running, CrossFit, cardio, martial arts, etc.
It has 4 intensity settings, and the charged battery lasts for up to 2 hours. It’s the only one on this list that offers a lifetime money-back guarantee!
The relatively low nodules feel firm and are best for muscle knots release and trigger point massage – to loosen up those aching muscles.
LifePro Surger Pros
- Lifetime money-back guarantee!
- Variety of speed intensities
- Easy to use single-button toggle controls
- Reliable customer service
- Length is shorter than average
- Comes with a drawstring for easy transport
✅ Price – $99 with free shipping – at LifePro
3. LifePro Massage Ball – Best for Small Muscle Areas
- Size – 3.75 inches in diameter
- Weight – 0.66 pounds
- Max. Intensity – 60 Hz
The LifePro unique and powerful little massage ball is specifically designed to release (and get peak performance) for smaller muscle groups and is an amazing pain relieving tool for tight/sore muscles, hand/foot pain, sciatica, neuropathy, and fibromyalgia.
This one also has 4 speed levels, with a maximum intensity of 60 Hz!
The LifePro massage ball is 100% portable, rechargeable, lightweight (0.66 lbs), compact (3.75 inches in diameter), and is easy to take with you anywhere, including traveling overseas.
If you purchase on the official site, you get instant access to some excellent workout videos and instructions, to help you achieve your goals confusion-free and quickly.
✅ Price – best price and warranty (lifetime) and free shipping – on the official site!
4. Emerge Vibrating Foam Roller – Most Dense and Firm
- Size – 13 inches long and 6 inches in diameter
- Weight – 3.3 lbs.
- Max. Intensity – 60Hz
The Emerge VIBR foam roller offers 3 speeds to choose from (low/medium/high) and a dual-zone surface with smooth and ridged patterns.
A single charge lasts about 3 hours depending on the setting, and it is compact enough to take with you for your workout outside or to relieve back pain in the office and at work.
- The low setting is gentle enough for Sciatica treatment, and the higher settings are powerful enough for muscle knots and muscle stiffness.
- You can take it easy with the smooth surface or use the ridged one for trigger point release and deep tissue massage.
- Easy to transport and travel with – comes with a universal charging cable
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Some users feel it’s too stiff and firm for them, but this is a subjective matter
✅ Price – Check price on Amazon
5. Hyprice Vyper 2.0 – Best for Pain-Sensitive People
- Size – 11.6 x 5.3
- Weight – 3 pounds
The Hyprice new 2.0 vibrating roller has a more modest ridged system but the vibration is quite powerful.
It has 3 intensity settings, and most users claim the medium setting is their sweet spot for relieving muscle pain in the lower and upper back, knee muscles, IT band, quads, and hamstrings.
This one is more suited for people with sciatica, arthritis, and back injuries that may feel too much pain using a highly ridged surface.
Hyprice Vibrating Roller Pros
- Charges in as little as 20-30 minutes
- A smoother surface allows for less painful vibration massage
- Vibration is powerful enough to deliver a strong surface massage
- Not optimal for a trigger point release
- Users say it’s a bit noisy
✅ Price – Best price on Amazon
6. NextRollerFoam – Most Powerful Vibration
- Size – 6″ in diameter and 13″ in length
- Weight – 3 pounds
- Max. intensity – 67 Hz
The NextRoller dense and firm vibrating roller has a long-lasting battery that can be used for more than 2 hours after a single charge.
The highest vibration setting gets up to 67 Hz!
It was designed for professional athletes to be used before and after any sport and is made with dynamic texture, 3 vibration settings, and an ergonomic carry handle
- Versatile vibration settings – 20/40/67 Hz
- Vibration makes the sore spots release less painful
- Long-lasting battery (more than claimed by the company)
- Attentive and helpful customer service
- Some users say it’s a bit noisy
✅ Price – Best price is on Amazon
7. Vulken Vibrating Foam Roller – Best Extra Long
If you are looking for a longer foam roller surface, you’ll like the Vulkan 17-inch foam roller with vibration, which gives you more space to roll out your shoulders, legs, upper and lower back.
The 4 vibration settings include a pulsating mode you can use for blood circulation-boosting or muscle warming – without rolling at all.
The battery lasts for a couple of hours after charging, sometimes more, depending on the setting.
- Gentler than other rollers – good for painful muscle injuries
- Extra space to roll on
- Pulsating mode to gently warm up muscles before working out or physical work
- Made with eco-friendly shell
- Long-lasting battery (more than 2 hours)
- Most quiet electric roller
✅ Price – Check price on Amazon
- Less compact, harder to transport (best for home use)
- The foam exterior is very firm
8. TB12 Vibrating Foam Roller – by Tom Brady
According to his own statement, Tom Brady uses his TB12 Vibrating Pliability Roller for about 20 to 30 seconds to treat sore or tight muscles. That’s all it takes.
The TB12 has a durable foam construction that targets larger muscle groups, and a rugged exterior. It has 4 different massage settings and a battery life of up to 3 hours.
The only con we found was the price. Not the cheapest one on the market.
✅ Price – $160 at TB12
How To Use a Vibrating Foam Roller for Back Pain
1. Start gradually and slow – don’t be tempted to start with the highest intensity, especially if you suffer from medium-high pain levels. Start with the lowest setting for the first 2-3 sessions, until you get adjusted to the device.
2. Roll slowly for about 3 seconds for each movement. This is a slow process. Take 2-3 minutes for each muscle area.
3. Follow the long axis of the muscle and use downward pressure, focus on large muscle areas such as the upper back, lower back, hamstrings, etc.
4. For trigger points release, do small and repetitive movements – slowly.
5. For maximum results, consistency is key. Try to foam roll every day for a few minutes to get the most out of this simple treatment.
Here’s a short video demonstration for the upper body:
Who Should Not Use a Vibrating Foam Roller?
Since this is an electrical vibrating device, some people should consult with their doctor before using it:
pregnant women, diabetics, people with herniated discs, spondylitis, recent joint replacements, metal pins, pacemakers, and people who are recovering from surgeries.
Vibrating Foam Roller vs. Massage Gun
Massage guns deliver the same physiological benefits as vibrating foam rollers, but in a different way. While vibrating foam rollers deliver vibrating massage, massage guns apply high-speed percussion therapy – delivering quick bursts of pressure to a stiff and painful targeted area – to relieve trigger points and muscle soreness.
The main advantage of massage guns over a vibrating foam roller is the ability to target specific areas and the different massage heads that do this. Also, Massage guns require less “work” because you can just hold them against a muscle while vibrating foam rollers require lying down and adjusting yourself each time you want to change the treatment area.
Our favorite massage gun is the Hydragun, which is powerful enough for workout recovery, yet gentle enough to treat back pain from sciatica. See the list of massage guns pros and cons to help you decide.
To your health and happiness,
The Back Pain Relief Products Team
Imtiyaz S, Veqar Z, Shareef MY. To Compare the Effect of Vibration Therapy and Massage in Prevention of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8(1):133‐136. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2014/7294.3971