The Shakti Acupressure Mat Review: Does it Work?
Can lying on 6000 nail-like plastic spikes mat relieve your back pain?
Does it hurt to lie on a bed of nails? why should you do that? 😉
You’ll find all the answers in our Shakti Acupressure Mat 2020 review (and comparison with the Prana Mat)
Can the Shakti Mat Relieve Back Pain?
The Shakti Mat, also known as “The Swedish Bed of Nails”, is an ancient medicinal tool, based on acupressure points.
It’s based on an ancient Indian medicinal tool that was used by Indian Yogis for releasing mental, emotional, and physical baggage.
(👉 And it one of our top recommendations for gifts for people with back pain!)
Here’s how it works:
Our body is lined with pressure points, which, when “pressured”, release pain-relieving and stress-reducing hormones (endorphins and oxytocin).
An almost immediate relaxation, pain relief (for any type of pain, including fibromyalgia), and stress relief.
This makes the Shakti Mat an excellent sleep aid for people having trouble falling asleep due to back pain or just “plain old” insomnia.
👉 Recent studies show that only 15 minutes a day of lying on nail mats (for 3 weeks) reduced patients’ peak levels of pain dramatically.
Shakti Acupressure Mat (with Tote Bag) Review
The Shakti Mat padded cotton surface has 210 non-toxic plastic “flowers”, with 6000 acupressure points.
It is built in a way that it provides equal pressure on all pressure points when it comes in contact with your body.
Size: 26 x 17 x 1 inches
Weight: 1 pound
For me, the Shakti Mat is about as long as my torso. That means that the spikes reach all the way from my lower back to the top of my neck.
👉 The Best Shakti Mat Alternative?
In case you can’t find the Shakti Mat in stores or online, here’s the best (and lower cost) alternative:
The Akuspike takes acupressure mats to a whole different level – with copper, iron, silver, zinc, and nickel spikes – instead of the cheap plastic spikes you see on other ones.
Also, the price is very reasonable for these helpful acupressure mats.
Does it Hurt?
Using the Shakti Mat does not hurt (too much). You will feel a prickly sensation, but not severe pain. Irritation? Yes. Pain? No.
Most users report feeling immensely tired after only 5 minutes of use, despite the irritation. If this mat can relieve your back pain while making you fall asleep – it’s well worth it.
How Long Do You Have to Lie on It?
We recommend that you lie on the acupressure mat for at least 10 minutes every day to reap its amazing benefits. With time, you can try to increase the time by 5 minutes each time, until you reach 30-40 minutes.
Shakti Mat Pros
- Can relieve back pain in 15-30 minutes
- Relaxing and helps fall asleep
- Impressive packaging – it comes in an organic cotton carry bag, with attention to detail and quality stitching.
- Well made – durable plastic spikes
- Nontoxic plastic discs
- 100% Organic cotton
- No harmful chemicals
Shakti Mat Cons
- Must be hand washed – using a washing machine or dryer can damage the spikes
How to Use the Shakti Mat
As with any other device, using the Shakti Mat properly is the only way to achieve back pain relief.
1. Be careful with the cactus-like flowers on the surface of the mat, they can hurt your fingers if you’re not careful.
The trick with the mat is to lie down carefully so all your back hits the mat in the right place all at once, to avoid feeling the spikes spiking into your skin.
2. The first session should last for 20 minutes. Wear a cotton T-shirt the first time you use the mat, to get used to the discomfort. Each session afterward should last between 20 to 40 minutes, once every day.
3. You will feel a prickly but not painful sensation when you lay on the mat, followed by a wave of flushing warm heat. It instantly relaxes you.
4. After about 5 minutes, you will feel so relaxed you’ll find yourself nodding off, despite the constant irritation.
5. Do not put away the Shakti Mat if you don’t experience pain relief after the first session. This is not medication, it’s a natural method and it’s not a magic potion.
Give it at least 5 sessions before you determine if it helps your back pain. Each time you will use it, you will feel the pain lessen.
6. People that have heart problems, high blood pressure, and pregnant women should NOT use the Shakti mat.
Here’s how to get started with the Shakti Mat:
Shakti Mat Best Price & Where to Buy
The Shakti Mat is actually a very small investment for a back pain and stress relieving natural device.
And it will last you for many years.
👉 Check here, and if you find it for less than $25 – it’s a great deal.
I use the Shakti Mat every day. Sometimes I fall asleep on it, sometimes I stand on it for a while (a great blood flow boost for my feet) and sometimes I use for upper back muscle stiffness.
I’ve developed a habit of falling asleep on it every day, and I love it so much that it’s become my favorite healthy holiday gift for my family and friends.
In my research, I have not found a single person who doesn’t love it after trying it. Here’s one example I found on the yogaforums.com website:
Our entire family uses it, works great for back pains, tense muscles, headaches. I’m using it after my MMA class for other wear-and-tear pains.
Have you ever tried acupressure for back pain relief? how did it work for you?
To your health and happiness,
The Back-Pain-Relief-Products Team